Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Brent Clark <bc...@tendrilinc.com> on 2014/02/10 18:45:34 UTC

CloudStack question on guests

I have a CS 3.0 install with 2x KVM hosts. I recenlty built a new shiny CS
4.2 install with 3x KVM hosts. I am wondering what the process I should
follow to easly migrate guests from one CS version to the other.

It is as easy as removing the KVM host from the old version, slapping the
new agent onto it and adding it to the new CS?

Thanks!

--
Brent S. Clark
NOC Engineer

2580 55th St.  |  Boulder, Colorado 80301
www.tendrilinc.com  |  blog <http://www.tendrilinc.com/news-room/blog/>
<http://www.tendrilinc.com/>

Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses.
The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Re: CloudStack question on guests

Posted by Shanker Balan <sh...@shapeblue.com>.
Comments inline.

On 10-Feb-2014, at 11:15 pm, Brent Clark <bc...@tendrilinc.com> wrote:

> I have a CS 3.0 install with 2x KVM hosts. I recenlty built a new shiny CS
> 4.2 install with 3x KVM hosts. I am wondering what the process I should
> follow to easly migrate guests from one CS version to the other.

Each release of ACS has an upgrade guide. See below link for upgrading
from 3.0.x to 4.2.1:

http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.2.1/html-single/Release_Notes/index.html#upgrade-from-3.0.x-to-4.2.1

The upgrade process would be transparent to the guests.

> It is as easy as removing the KVM host from the old version, slapping the
> new agent onto it and adding it to the new CS?

According to http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.2.1/html-single/Release_Notes/index.html#upgrade-from-3.0.x-to-4.2.1, you don’t require
to remove and add the KVM host back again. Only a package upgrade and some
settings update to environment.properties should suffice.

I would first try the upgrade on a non-production setup to be safe. :)

HTH.
@shankerbalan

--
@shankerbalan

M: +91 98860 60539 | O: +91 (80) 67935867
ShapeBlue Services India LLP, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre, Bangalore - 560 055

Our CloudStack Infrastructure Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/> offers the best 24/7 SLA for CloudStack Environments.

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.