Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com> on 2009/10/14 07:55:58 UTC

Release plan for Xerces-J 2.10.0

Hi all,

I think it's about time we had a release. It's been over two years since
the last one and during that time we've made significant progress in a
number of areas:

* XML Schema 1.1
* JAXP 1.4
* StAX event API (javax.xml.stream.events)
* Element Traversal API [1] (org.w3c.dom.ElementTraversal)
* Unicode normalization and normalization checking

among other enhancements.

Before we can do the Xerces release, we're first going to need to get out
an official release of the JAXP 1.4 APIs from XML Commons. The coding has
been done for awhile now. Just needs some documentation updates and a
release candidate to vote on. If anyone would like to help out with that it
would be appreciated. Hoping we could wrap that up and roll out releases
from the other branches of XML Commons over the next month.

Then we could start preparing the Xerces-J release. There's been a bit of
chatter about having one in December. How does Friday, December 18th sound?
Just before the end of the year.

I'm thinking that we'd release two sets of binaries for 2.10.0, one built
from the trunk and an experimental one from the XML Schema 1.1 branch so
that the community could start to try out the new features: assertions,
conditional type assessment, etc... with an understanding that things could
change in the future along with the spec which isn't final yet.

What do folks think?

Thanks.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/ElementTraversal/

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: Release plan for Xerces-J 2.10.0

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael,
   Thanks for sharing the release update for next version of Xerces.

I am quite excited to seeing the new Xerces-J release, available to
the community :) The timing of the release, as you wrote, looks great
to me :)

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Michael Glavassevich
<mr...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think it's about time we had a release. It's been over two years since the
> last one and during that time we've made significant progress in a number of
> areas:
>
> * XML Schema 1.1
> * JAXP 1.4
> * StAX event API (javax.xml.stream.events)
> * Element Traversal API [1] (org.w3c.dom.ElementTraversal)
> * Unicode normalization and normalization checking
>
> among other enhancements.
>
> Before we can do the Xerces release, we're first going to need to get out an
> official release of the JAXP 1.4 APIs from XML Commons. The coding has been
> done for awhile now. Just needs some documentation updates and a release
> candidate to vote on. If anyone would like to help out with that it would be
> appreciated. Hoping we could wrap that up and roll out releases from the
> other branches of XML Commons over the next month.
>
> Then we could start preparing the Xerces-J release. There's been a bit of
> chatter about having one in December. How does Friday, December 18th sound?
> Just before the end of the year.
>
> I'm thinking that we'd release two sets of binaries for 2.10.0, one built
> from the trunk and an experimental one from the XML Schema 1.1 branch so
> that the community could start to try out the new features: assertions,
> conditional type assessment, etc... with an understanding that things could
> change in the future along with the spec which isn't final yet.
>
> What do folks think?
>
> Thanks.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/ElementTraversal/
>
> Michael Glavassevich
> XML Parser Development
> IBM Toronto Lab
> E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
> E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Mukul Gandhi

Re: Release plan for Xerces-J 2.10.0

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael,

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Michael Glavassevich
<mr...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> Out of curiosity do Roger's examples work with the current version of
> PsychoPath in Eclipse or is there still more work which needs to be done
> there to support them?

Yesterday itself, I tested all of Roger's assertions examples
(provided on his web site) with the Xerces-J schema-dev SVN code, and
following are my findings, in relation to Xerces, PsychoPath and
Eclipse WTP:

1) The current Eclipse WTP release can be accessed from,
http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/

The most stable milestone Eclipse WTP release (from Eclipse) looks
like, 3.2.0M2.

But I actually tried Xerces assertions yesterday with one of the more
recent PsychoPath codebase (i.e, code improvements later than Eclipse
WTP 3.2.0M2), available from:
https://build.eclipse.org/hudson/view/WTP/job/cbi-wtp-wst.xsl.psychopath/ [1]

This URL [1] is been configured by the PsychoPath team, to build
PsychoPath on a two hourly basis (following a principle of continuous
application integration). The PsychoPath build is triggered, only when
any PsychoPath code is changed. But the build scheduler at Eclipse
Hudson, tries running the PsychoPath build every 2 hours (and produces
the PsychoPath, JAR if any PsychoPath code changes).

2) The current PsychoPath codebase has W3C test suite success rate of
99.5% I guess (this was reported by Dave Carver few days ago, and it
looks quite good to me!). The PsychoPath JARs available at [1], will
eventually become part of Eclipse WTP in future.
The URL [1] was created by the PsychoPath team, to provide PsychoPath
adopters like Xerces to download PsychoPath JAR without downloading
the whole Eclipse WTP.

3) I think, I ran successfully something like 95% of Roger's
assertions examples with Xerces assertions. The Roger's assertions
examples which failed with Xerces, had some workaround possible (I
don't think, there are major bugs in Xerces assertions in relation to
this), to be running successfully.

Mukul Gandhi

Re: Release plan for Xerces-J 2.10.0

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Mukul,

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael,

<mr...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> Not sure we need a formal code freeze, though agree that we should get
> things stabilized as the release approaches. I think we've done a good job
> with that on previous releases.
>
> Regarding conformance, there is no W3C test suite yet so our confidence on
> this is going to have to come from our own testing of it. I've been hearing
> some buzz about there being another GHOP [1] this year so perhaps there's an
> opportunity to get some folks involved with a fresh set of eyes to help with
> testing and provide feedback on what we have so far, perhaps also creating
> some examples. Can also point users to the articles [2][3] we've been
> writing and the XML Schema 1.1 tutorial [4] which Roger Costello created (I
> think Mukul has already taken a look at this and could comment on its
> usefulness).
>
> Thanks.
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/opensource/ghop/2007-8/
> [2] http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-xml11pt1/