Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by 1d...@gmx.de on 2010/06/26 10:00:17 UTC

Unable to start Tomcat 6 on Windows Server 2003

Hi,

I have a problem starting a TomCat on a Windows 2003 Server:

Java Version installed: 1.6.0_11   JRE & JDK
Tomcat Version used for tests: 6.0.16 & 6.0.26

First i installed the Tomcat.exe on the server -> Tomcat do not start

Failure in Log:
[error] FindClass org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap failed [error] Failed loading main org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap class C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\bin\bootstrap.jar [error] ServiceStart returned 3

Then i downloaded the tomcat.zip and made tests through a command box:
The Tomcat do not start with „catalina.bat run“ in the box is written that he can not find "Class org/apache/juli/logging/LogFactory"...
The file is definitly there...

I installed a Test VM and adapt the configuration 100% with double check from a colleague: Tomcat is running.

The server on which it is not running is in a domain. The Test VM is a standalone server.

-> Suggestion: There are policies that are preventing the Tomcat to start... Question now: Which one can this be?

Do any one of you any Policies in a windows domain that prevent a Tomcat to start with such errors?

Many thanks in advance, destroyer

RE: Unable to start Tomcat 6 on Windows Server 2003

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: David Smith [mailto:david.smith@cornell.edu]
> Subject: Re: Unable to start Tomcat 6 on Windows Server 2003
>
> A second command prompt window??  I've never seen tomcat
> do such a thing.

You must be joking - Tomcat has always done that, at least since 5.0, when running the startup.bat script.

> What did the main window show?

As the OP stated, the main window shows nothing of interest; the key problem is the class not found that appears (briefly) in the secondary window.

 - Chuck

Re: Unable to start Tomcat 6 on Windows Server 2003

Posted by David Smith <da...@cornell.edu>.

On 6/26/2010 12:19 PM, 1destroyer1@gmx.de wrote:

> What happens if you run startup.bat?
>
> A second dos box shortly appear and is closing immediately...
>
> Start a command prompt first, then manually type the startup.bat command
> - don't double click the file to run it.
>
> What does the error message say exactly?
>
> i started "startup.bat" in a command box -> all env variables are shown, no failures, and pathes are correct
> and a second command box shortly appear and immediatly closed again. no chance to read it out :)

A second command prompt window??  I've never seen tomcat do such a
thing.  What did the main window show?  If left as is, can you access
tomcat via a browser?  Anything in catalina.out?  Anything in the event
log?

If all that fails to produce anything, I highly recommend process
monitor to trace the what tomcat/jvm is trying to do and where it's failing:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

--David

Re: Unable to start Tomcat 6 on Windows Server 2003

Posted by 1d...@gmx.de.
hi,

here is the whole output from the command box:

D:\ttest\bin>dir
 Volume in drive D is DataDrive
 Volume Serial Number is 78F8-015F

 Directory of D:\ttest\bin

06/27/2010  08:41 AM    <DIR>          .
06/27/2010  08:41 AM    <DIR>          ..
06/25/2010  07:54 PM            22,110 bootstrap.jar
06/25/2010  07:54 PM             2,374 catalina-tasks.xml
06/25/2010  08:27 PM            11,399 catalina.bat
06/25/2010  08:14 PM            11,399 catalina.bat.org.txt
06/25/2010  07:54 PM            15,582 catalina.sh
06/25/2010  07:54 PM             9,341 commons-daemon.jar
06/25/2010  07:54 PM             1,342 cpappend.bat
06/25/2010  07:54 PM             2,108 digest.bat
06/25/2010  07:54 PM             1,624 digest.sh
06/25/2010  07:54 PM            74,398 jsvc.tar.gz
06/25/2010  06:56 PM           348,160 msvcr71.dll
06/25/2010  07:54 PM             5,062 service.bat
06/25/2010  07:54 PM             3,150 setclasspath.bat
06/25/2010  07:54 PM             4,114 setclasspath.sh
06/25/2010  07:54 PM             2,108 shutdown.bat
06/25/2010  07:54 PM             1,563 shutdown.sh
06/25/2010  07:54 PM             2,109 startup.bat
06/25/2010  07:54 PM             1,956 startup.sh
06/25/2010  07:54 PM           868,352 tcnative-1.dll
06/25/2010  07:54 PM            26,484 tomcat-juli.jar
06/25/2010  07:54 PM           241,274 tomcat-native.tar.gz
06/25/2010  07:54 PM            61,440 tomcat6.exe
06/25/2010  07:54 PM            98,304 tomcat6w.exe
06/25/2010  08:36 PM             3,476 tool-wrapper.bat
06/25/2010  07:54 PM             3,459 tool-wrapper.sh
06/25/2010  07:54 PM             2,113 version.bat
06/25/2010  07:54 PM             1,567 version.sh
              27 File(s)      1,826,368 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  119,924,559,872 bytes free

D:\ttest\bin>catalina.bat run
Using CATALINA_BASE:   "D:\ttest"
Using CATALINA_HOME:   "D:\ttest"
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: "D:\ttest\temp"
Using JRE_HOME:        "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11"
Using CLASSPATH:       "D:\ttest\bin\bootstrap.jar"
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/juli/loggi
ng/LogFactory
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.<clinit>(Bootstrap.java:54)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.juli.logging.LogFactory
        at sun.misc.Launcher$ExtClassLoader.findClass(Launcher.java:229)
        ... 1 more
Could not find the main class: org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.  Program w
ill exit.

D:\ttest\bin>

kind regards, dessi

Re: Unable to start Tomcat 6 on Windows Server 2003

Posted by David Smith <da...@cornell.edu>.
On 6/26/2010 3:33 PM, 1destroyer1@gmx.de wrote:
> hi, as already written:
>
> "The Tomcat do not start with „catalina.bat run“ in the box is
> written that he can not find "Class
> org/apache/juli/logging/LogFactory"...
> The file is definitely there..."
>
> kind regards, dessi

Please post the whole stack trace including any root causes, obscuring
passwords and usernames.

--David

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 26/06/2010 17:19, 1destroyer1@gmx.de wrote:

> i started "startup.bat" in a command box ->  all env variables are shown, no failures, and pathes are correct
> and a second command box shortly appear and immediatly closed again. no chance to read it out :)

Use:
catalina.bat run

That will keep everything in the same window.

Mark

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 17:05:00 +0100
> Von: Pid <pi...@pidster.com>
> An: Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
> Betreff: Re: Unable to start Tomcat 6 on Windows Server 2003

> >> Where did you get "Tomcat.exe" and how did you do the install?
> >
> > Of course from:
> http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-6/v6.0.16/bin/
> > exact name: apache-tomcat-6.0.16.exe
>
> Is there a reason not to use a current version instead of an old one?

I now have tried 6.0.26 -> same result

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 26/06/2010 15:48, 1destroyer1@gmx.de wrote:
>> On 26/06/2010 09:00, 1destroyer1@gmx.de wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a problem starting a TomCat on a Windows 2003 Server:
>>>
>>> Java Version installed: 1.6.0_11   JRE & JDK
>>> Tomcat Version used for tests: 6.0.16 & 6.0.26
>>>
>>> First i installed the Tomcat.exe on the server -> Tomcat do not start
>>
>> Where did you get "Tomcat.exe" and how did you do the install?
>
> Of course from: http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-6/v6.0.16/bin/
> exact name: apache-tomcat-6.0.16.exe

Is there a reason not to use a current version instead of an old one?

>>> Failure in Log:
>>> [error] FindClass org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap failed [error]
>> Failed loading main org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap class C:\Program
>> Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\bin\bootstrap.jar [error]
>> ServiceStart returned 3
>>>
>>> Then i downloaded the tomcat.zip and made tests through a command box:
>>> The Tomcat do not start with „catalina.bat run“ in the box is
>> written that he can not find "Class org/apache/juli/logging/LogFactory"...
>>> The file is definitely there...
>>
>> What happens if you run startup.bat?
>
> A second dos box shortly appear and is closing immediately...

Start a command prompt first, then manually type the startup.bat command
- don't double click the file to run it.

What does the error message say exactly?

>>> I installed a Test VM and adapt the configuration 100% with double check
>> from a colleague: Tomcat is running.
>>
>> What did you do differently when you installed it in the VM rather in
>> the main OS?
>>

> Nothing. I installed Java & Tomcat totally in the same way! Same downloaded files as well.
>
> The difference is that the main OS is part of a domain and i think with specific group policies, but currently i do not know which can be causing this... the vm is a standalone w2k3 with no gpo´s.
>
> As written before: I think it is one of the domain policies that is causing this but i really have no clue which policy can cause this behavior... Any suggestions?
>
> see also below description

>>> The server on which it is not running is in a domain. The Test VM is a
>> standalone server.
>>>
>>> -> Suggestion: There are policies that are preventing the Tomcat to
>> start... Question now: Which one can this be?
>>>
>>> Do any one of you any Policies in a windows domain that prevent a Tomcat
>> to start with such errors?
>>>

> thanks, destroyer

Re: RE: Unable to start Tomcat 6 on Windows Server 2003

Posted by 1d...@gmx.de.
hi,

1)  locations are definitely right. many many times checked. this is not my first tomcat i have installed. but the first in the specific domain.

2)  i have tried this: same behavior. i am using a local admin account. i also have tried before with a domain account that has also admin rights on the system.

kind regards, dessi

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
> [...]

> the main OS?

Nothing. I installed Java & Tomcat totally in the same way! Same downloaded files as well.

The difference is that the main OS is part of a domain and i think with specific group policies, but currently i do not know which can be causing this... the vm is a standalone w2k3 with no gpo´s.

As written before: I think it is one of the domain policies that is causing this but i really have no clue which policy can cause this behavior... Any suggestions?

see also below description

> > The server on which it is not running is in a domain. The Test VM is a
> standalone server.
> >
> > -> Suggestion: There are policies that are preventing the Tomcat to
> start... Question now: Which one can this be?
> >
> > Do any one of you any Policies in a windows domain that prevent a Tomcat

thanks, destroyer

Re: Unable to start Tomcat 6 on Windows Server 2003

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.