Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu> on 2017/04/21 12:25:35 UTC

Jigsaw removes the ability for tools to help name transition

Robert and I wrote a bit previously [1] about the issues with the
automodules in jigsaw (hint: they use only the filename to default a module
which we've demonstrated is a terrible idea). There was a happy medium
which would have allowed library developers to select a name before full
modularization. Unfortunately, this has again been removed from the working
spec, and the vote is just around the corner.

I replied with the concerns and vision [2] but it has since been
unanswered. We need more people to speak up on this issue.

Several other EC members worked together to share concerns and this is a
scary read [3], along with another discussion of module names here [4]

[1]
http://www.sonatype.org/nexus/2017/01/23/advice-for-jigsaw-regarding-auto-modules/
[2]
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jpms-spec-observers/2017-April/000858.html