Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Nils Kaiser <Ni...@gmx.de> on 2006/03/15 18:52:57 UTC

Dynamic / content aware pipelines - status?

Hi,

I'm new to the list and posted a few days ago on the user list. I am
especially interested in dynamic pipelines and content aware pipelines,
as these are for me the two biggest restrictions of the parts of cocoon
I am currently using. I spent some time reading the archives and found a
few posts talking about Stax/Pull based pipelines, but could not found
out what is currently beeing done and whether there are some concepts or
even code already? Can someone point me out on this?

I would be happy to help submitting ideas or even code if I get to.

Greets,

Nils Kaiser

Re: Dynamic / content aware pipelines - status?

Posted by Daniel Fagerstrom <da...@nada.kth.se>.
Sylvain did some work on pull based pipelines around last ApacheCon, and
  we had some design discussions among the present Cocoon devs. I don't
think any code hit the SVN though.

 From an implementation POV, much of what is needed for Stax based
pipelines is already done as part of Axis2. They have developed Stax
based pipelines and a Stax based object model AXIOM
http://ws.apache.org/axis2/0_94/OMTutorial.html, that take care of
(partial) caching, and makes it possible to apply e.g. XPath on cached
XML content.

We also had some discussions with the Axis2 developers. I would suggest
that you take a closer look at AXIOM. For integrating pull pipelines in
Cocoon it would be simplest from integration POV, if we could create a
pull pipeline implementation of
o.a.c.components.pipeline.ProcesingPipeline
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/cocoon-core/src/main/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/pipeline/ProcessingPipeline.java.

OTH, any experimental result would be welcome as a starting point.
Integration could be a later question. We discussed a little bit about
just putting together AXIOM pipelines in flowscripts.

Sylvain hopefully can add to the subject.

/Daniel