Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de> on 2013/01/23 18:02:40 UTC

[VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker Release Candidate 1

Hi,

the first release candidate of the sandbox project Apache UIMA
TextMarker is ready for voting.

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-163/

SVN tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/sandbox/TextMarker/tags/uimaj-textmarker-parent-2.0.0-rc1

Archive with all sources:
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/TextMarker-2.0.0-rc1/uimaj-textmarker-parent-2.0.0-source-release.zip

Eclipse update site:
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/TextMarker-2.0.0-rc1/eclipse-update-site

The update site only contains the UIMA TextMarker plugins and is not yet
integrated in the composite repository because the composite repository
is not yet officially released.

Binaries and sources:
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/TextMarker-2.0.0-rc1/src_bin

The issues fixed are in the RELEASE_NOTES.html in the src/bin packages.
They can also be found here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%222.0.0TextMarker%22%20AND%20component%20%3D%20TextMarker%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

As it is the first release, the report contains all fixed issues.

Documentation (pdf file):
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/TextMarker-2.0.0-rc1/tools.textmarker.book.pdf

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ] 0   Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

Peter

Re: [VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker Release Candidate 1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
On 24.01.2013 10:45, Peter Klügl wrote:
> There are two things I noticed so far:
>
> - When I try to install the feature in Eclipse, then it is not
> categorized and thus not visible with the default settings. Somehow,
> the update site is not correctly built with the categories. However,
> the installed feature works just fine (Win7 64bit).
>
> - the poms of the plugins have some naming problems. This is probably
> caused by using a property, which is not resolved by some maven plugin.

OK, this happens also when I try to "release" the CAS Editor
(org.apache.uima.caseditor_${parsedVersion.osgiVersion}.pom).

Can I ignore this?

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Re: [VOTE][CANCELLED] Apache UIMA TextMarker Release Candidate 1

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I'm cancelling this vote, there's another vote for release candidate 2 now starting.

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
> Am 25.01.2013 um 16:37 schrieb Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>:

>>> Can someone verify that the information in [1] is correct? I am searching for
>>> an example with similar preconditions and correct LICENSE/NOTICE files. If I
>>> take a look at the latest official release of the SDK, then I can see the
>>> LICENSE/NOTICE files of the top project, e.g., with the mention of the icons.
>>> However, the plugin org.apache.uima.caseditor_2.4.0 has only the default
>>> LICENSE/NOTICE files in its META-INF folder (no mention of the icons). The
>>> LICENSE/NOTICE files in src/main/readme (top level) contain the information
>>> about the icons.
>> Right.  When you get your packaging fixed, I think we'll need to change this
>> project too.  You're the first one pioneering this :-)
>
> This whole fuzz about NOTICE/README files of third-party dependencies included in OSGi bundles is necessary only because many third-party JARs do actually *not* contain NOTICE/README files inside them, right? I mean, if every third-party JAR carried these files, there wouldn't be any necessity to repeat that information in our files, would there?

I think many people find this fuzzy.  There have been recent discussions on
Jira's in legal-discuss about this (referenced below), and a new page has been
added - a licensing-howto [1]. According to [1] you need to "bubble up" notices
(that apply in your particular case) from dependent things you include.

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html  (Scroll to bottom)

This includes the step:  Perform a recursive traversal of the product's
dependency chain, starting with direct dependencies and continuing through all
child dependencies. For any dependency whose bits are bundled, consider whether
LICENSE and NOTICE need to be modified. (DO NOT modify LICENSE or NOTICE for
dependencies whose bits are not bundled.)

Here are the two Jiras about this, for more background and discussion:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-125

and

-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Am 25.01.2013 um 16:37 schrieb Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>:
> On 1/25/2013 9:27 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, this did not work. I added individual LICENSE/NOTICE files to
>>> src/main/readme in uimaj-ep-textmarker-engine but the binary just contains
>>> the default files and additionally files with ".txt" extension and the same
>>> content. The -sources jar contains also only the default files.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> Can someone verify that the information in [1] is correct? I am searching for
>> an example with similar preconditions and correct LICENSE/NOTICE files. If I
>> take a look at the latest official release of the SDK, then I can see the
>> LICENSE/NOTICE files of the top project, e.g., with the mention of the icons.
>> However, the plugin org.apache.uima.caseditor_2.4.0 has only the default
>> LICENSE/NOTICE files in its META-INF folder (no mention of the icons). The
>> LICENSE/NOTICE files in src/main/readme (top level) contain the information
>> about the icons.
>
> Right.  When you get your packaging fixed, I think we'll need to change this
> project too.  You're the first one pioneering this :-)

This whole fuzz about NOTICE/README files of third-party dependencies included in OSGi bundles is necessary only because many third-party JARs do actually *not* contain NOTICE/README files inside them, right? I mean, if every third-party JAR carried these files, there wouldn't be any necessity to repeat that information in our files, would there?

Cheers,

-- Richard

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckart@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: [VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker Release Candidate 1

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 1/25/2013 1:28 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:
> Source-release - we use the configuration from the apache-wide pom for this.
>
> It has this bit in the assembly:
>
>     <!-- license, readme, etc. calculated at build time -->
>     <fileSet>
>
> <directory>${project.build.directory}/maven-shared-archive-resources/META-INF</directory>
>       <outputDirectory>/</outputDirectory>
>     </fileSet>
>
> So, if your build at the top level creates the right LICENSE NOTICE files and
> puts them into the .../target/maven-shared-archive-resources/META-INF spot, they
> should be copied to the top level in the source assembly zip.

But as I noted in another part of this thread, the source release is unlikely to
need any customized files, so the standard ones ought to work (because the
source-release is unlikely to have anything in it other than the sources, of
course).

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
The files should be fine now except for the engine plugin. Here, the
sources.jar has an unneccessary mention of the libs and the binaries
have additional files LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt. I think that good
enough for the next RC.

The changes are not very nice, but I have not found a better way to do
it right now.

Peter

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
I think we should add the additional licenses to the LICENSE file like
we do it for the NOTICE file. Maybe we can externalize the license
strings with properties:read-project-properties.

Best,

Peter

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
hi - I'm digging into this.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 01/25/2013 01:13 PM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> If I undestand that correctly, then I have to remove ANTLR and
> htmlparser from the NOTICE/LICENSE in the top level project since they
> are both not part of the source release. Then, I have to add
> NOTICE/LICENSE files (with ANTLR and htmlparser) to src/main/readme/
> in the top level project and to the uimaj-ep-textmarker-engine project
> since those two binaries will contain the third party libraries. The
> other plugins also need their own NOTICE/LICENSE files in
> src/main/readme/ since they contain the icons. Is that correct? Is
> there a shortcut, something that influences maven what to put in those
> files, or which file to copy?

+1, sounds good.

Jörn

Re: [VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker Release Candidate 1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
On 24.01.2013 16:57, Marshall Schor wrote:
> On 1/24/2013 7:46 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:

>>> I am afraid to tell you that you need to have accurate NOTICE/LICENSE files
>>> for all the artifacts you want to distribute.
>>> As far as I know you can tell maven to not follow the standard behavior, I
>>> believe Marshall already did it for
>>> some of our artifacts already, e.g. the Cas Editor.
>>>
>> Can you or Marhsall elaborate on that? I looked at the Cas Editor, but have
>> not found anything in the pom nor in the jar distributed in the downloadable
>> archive.
> In the Jar there is in the directory /META-INF added "LICENSE" and "NOTICE" files.
>
> There is a writeup of how the packaging for license/notice files works (I think
> it is mostly up to date :-) ), here:
>
> http://uima.apache.org/maven-design.html#LICENSE and NOTICE files
> <http://uima.apache.org/maven-design.html#LICENSE%20and%20NOTICE%20files>
>
> It would best to follow the conventions, of course :-)
>
> HTH. -Marshall

Thanks for the links. I've read it some time ago, but forgot about it.

If I undestand that correctly, then I have to remove ANTLR and
htmlparser from the NOTICE/LICENSE in the top level project since they
are both not part of the source release. Then, I have to add
NOTICE/LICENSE files (with ANTLR and htmlparser) to src/main/readme/ in
the top level project and to the uimaj-ep-textmarker-engine project
since those two binaries will contain the third party libraries. The
other plugins also need their own NOTICE/LICENSE files in
src/main/readme/ since they contain the icons. Is that correct? Is there
a shortcut, something that influences maven what to put in those files,
or which file to copy?

What about the source release? The complete source release contains the
file I provided. However,
"org.apache.uima.textmarker.caseditor_2.0.0-sources.jar" for example,
only contains the default NOTICE/LICENSE files. Can I somehow change
these files to those I provide? Or are these files put there as a binary
release?

I must admit that I am a bit confused. I thought maven would just
distribute the NOTICE/LICENSE files that I provide in the top level
project, which is released.

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 01/24/2013 01:46 PM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> Can you or Marhsall elaborate on that? I looked at the Cas Editor, but
> have not found anything in the pom nor in the jar distributed in the
> downloadable archive.

Thats ok, because the distributable (zip/tar.gz package) contains
everything in its top-level NOTICE/LICENSE, but the Cas Editor
is also distributed via the eclipse update site, and there the jar file
must have non-default NOTICE/LICENSE files.
I will check if thats the case, then we can at least fix it for the next
release.

Jörn

Re: [VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker Release Candidate 1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
On 24.01.2013 12:20, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> On 01/24/2013 10:39 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>> I found the icons in the uimaj-ep-textmarker-ide binary plugin jar
>>> file, but
>>> the LICENSE and NOTICE files do not contain the attribution and
>>> license for them:
>>>

>> Hmm, yes. I thought it is enough to provide those modified files for
>> the root project, which is released. I assume that maven has put the
>> standard LICENSE/NOTICE files in META-INF. The question is: what do I
>> need to do? Does each jar needs its individual files?
>
> I am afraid to tell you that you need to have accurate NOTICE/LICENSE
> files for all the artifacts you want to distribute.
> As far as I know you can tell maven to not follow the standard
> behavior, I believe Marshall already did it for
> some of our artifacts already, e.g. the Cas Editor.

Can you or Marhsall elaborate on that? I looked at the Cas Editor, but
have not found anything in the pom nor in the jar distributed in the
downloadable archive.

Can I simply put a manually adapted NOTICE/LICENSE file in the META-INF
folder of the respective projects? Or what is the normal procedure here?

> See this release policy:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#distribute-other-artifacts
>
> The attribution and notices you included in the svn tag files look good,
> you just need to make sure that they are included in all of your
> artifacts you want
> to distribute. The basic principle here is that you just include what
> is mandatory.
>
> The textmarker ide plugin jar file includes the icons, and uses ANTLR
> libraries through
> the textmarker engine. For the LICENSE and NOTICE file it only counts
> what is inside the distributable,
> in this case you only need to put the icons in the LICENSE/NOTICE but
> not ANTLR because their
> work is not included.
>
> The NOTICE file in the svn tag still has 2012 in it, should be updated
> to 2013.

Thanks for your help :-)

Peter

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Hi,

On 23.01.2013 18:53, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the NOTICE / LICENSE files must contain the attribution and
> licenses of the redistributed 3rd party work.
>
> There are many of these files in many places, from the NOTICE / LICENSE
> pair at the root level of the svn tag I got the impression that you
> include
> these 3rd party works somewhere:
>
> - ANTLR libraries (BSD)
> - htmlparser (CPL)
> - Icons (Creative Commons)
>
> At which places are these actually included?

- ANTLR libraries (BSD) are packaged in
org.apache.uima.textmarker.engine_2.0.0.jar and are additionally used by
org.apache.uima.textmarker.ide_2.0.0.jar
- htmlparser (CPL) is packaged in
org.apache.uima.textmarker.engine_2.0.0.jar and used by an AE
implemented in this jar.
- Icons (Creative Commons) are packaged in all plugins

ANTLR and htmlparser are dependencies of uimaj-textmarker (the core
implementation of the rule-based AE) and
org.apache.uima.textmarker.engine is a fetcher plugin, which makes the
implementation and all neccessary dependencies available in Eclipse,
similar to the UIMA runtime plugin. org.apache.uima.textmarker.ide
contains also an antlr grammar for creating an AST (for editor support)
and therefore depends on the ANTLR implementation.

> I found the icons in the uimaj-ep-textmarker-ide binary plugin jar
> file, but
> the LICENSE and NOTICE files do not contain the attribution and
> license for them:

Hmm, yes. I thought it is enough to provide those modified files for the
root project, which is released. I assume that maven has put the
standard LICENSE/NOTICE files in META-INF. The question is: what do I
need to do? Does each jar needs its individual files?

There is a new page:

http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html

I gonna take a look at it.

Peter

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 1/24/2013 11:35 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 24.01.2013 17:09, schrieb Marshall Schor:
>> On 1/24/2013 4:52 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>> Just another comment about the composite repository:
>>>
>>> I refrained from providing an extended composite repository, because, as I
>>> already mentioned, it is not yet officially available (or am I wrong?).
>>> However, there are also two small additional reasons: I do not believe that
>>> this rc is the last one (so that the extended composite repository would be
>>> released as it is) and my feature (should) use another category. Therefore, it
>>> should be quite independent of the other subsites.
>> My thought was that we would use the release vote for TextMarker to do the
>> switch from our previous non-P2 repo to the new P2 repo (with composite
>> repository) design :-).  However, if there is a need to go ahead and release the
>> new p2 update site before the textmarker release, we could do that, too (but in
>> the interest of avoiding extra "churn" and work, I'd like to avoid that if we
>> could).
>
> Ah OK, no problem. I will provide the composite repository with the three
> update sites in the next RC and change the name of the vote to reflect that we
> also vote on the conposite repository.
+1

>> I agree your feature should likely use a new category ("TextMarker" ?).  Or, if
>> you think it will be just one feature, it could be added to the
>> uima-tooling-and-runtimes category.
>>
>> (We currently have 2 categories:  the uima-tooling-and-runtimes, and the
>> uima-as-tooling.)
>
> Currently, there is a new category "uima-textmarker" / "Apache UIMA
> TextMarker" with one feature "UIMA TextMarker Workbench". When I think now
> about that, then we should probably have two features, one for the
> workbench/ide/tooling and one for the engine. (We can do that in the next
> release if there is a need)
+1

> I think it is better to have a separate update site since the code quality of
> the textmarker projects is still way behind the rest of uima. There will also
> probably be shorter release cycles. So, we do not have to touch the other
> update sites, when we release a new textmarker update site. The textmarker
> update site is already ready, thus merging would be more work now and for the
> next release.
+1.  Once the composite site is setup for the textmarker subsite, it won't need
to be touched for subsequent release cycles of textmarker :-)

-Marshall

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.