Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Ryan Agler <ry...@hotmail.com> on 2003/04/16 05:28:49 UTC

Mysql 4.1 wont work with James

Anyone out there been able to get mysql 4.1 working with James?  After
upgrading to 4.1, executing run.sh causes James to go into a loop doing
"SHOW VARIABLES" connections to mysql before reaching the mysql max
connection limit (mine is set to 160) and finally dying.  Snippet from mysql
log:

		    490 Connect     user@backup on
		    490 Init DB     mail
		    490 Query       SHOW VARIABLES
		    491 Connect     user@backup on
		    491 Init DB     mail
		    491 Query       SHOW VARIABLES
		    492 Connect     user@backup on
		    492 Init DB     mail
		    492 Query       SHOW VARIABLES
		    491 Quit
		    493 Connect     user@backup on
		    493 Init DB     mail
		    493 Query       SHOW VARIABLES

The first thing I did was to remove the packaged mysql JDBC driver in
james.sar, and I downloaded the latest Connector/J (3.1.0) from the Mysql
homepage and placed it in james/lib.  Different behavior this time,
executing run.sh just "freezes" and I have to kill -9 the process.  I can
see in the mysql server logs that a single connection is made before the
freeze:

030415 23:05:13	      1 Connect     user@backup on

I was able to put some custom logging statements into
JDBCMailRepository.java, and found that the "freeze" occurs around line 278:
"Connection conn = datasource.getConnection();"

After downgrading back to Mysql 4.0.12, everything works fine again, even
with the packaged driver removed from james.sar and the latest Connector/J
in james/lib.

Mysql 4.1 works great for me in cocoon 2.1, so it only seems to be James
where JDBC isn't working. Yes I know Mysql 4.1 is bleeding edge and all, but
I'm already hooked on the new subquery support -- Please Help!

System Specs:
Athalon 800, 500 megs ram
James 2.1.2
Redhat 8.0