Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Erik Forsberg <fo...@opera.com> on 2015/10/06 11:43:38 UTC

How are writes handled while adding nodes to cluster?

Hi!

How are writes handled while I'm adding a node to a cluster, i.e. while
the new node is in JOINING state?

Are they queued up as hinted handoffs, or are they being written to the
joining node?

In the former case I guess I have to make sure my max_hint_window_in_ms
is long enough for the node to become NORMAL or hints will get dropped
and I must do repair. Am I right?

Thanks,
\EF

Re: How are writes handled while adding nodes to cluster?

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com> wrote:

> When a node is joining, writes are sent to both the current replicas *and*
> the joining replica.  However, the joining replica does not count towards
> the consistency level.  So, for example, if you write at
> ConsistencyLevel.TWO, and only one existing replica and the joining replica
> respond, the write will be considered a failure.

The word I usually use to summarize the nature of the writes being sent to
the joining replica is :

"Extra"

In that they are otherwise just like replication, but no one but the
joining node cares if they are delivered...

=Rob

Re: How are writes handled while adding nodes to cluster?

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>