Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com> on 2004/05/06 17:39:13 UTC

Re: plugin to gather statistics, make a summary and store themintoaDB

Here's what we are trying to build (sorry, cannot share : business use !)

Our plugin acts as a postgoal to site. It use itself plugable parsers for reports. Each parser (digester based) tries to
extract max infos from associated xdoc report.

For each report, indicator classes are used to extract some interesting (*) datas from parser
datas (*: interesting to be defined by project managers !)

The plugin extract all indicators needed on a project based on its configuration file and saves it in a xml timestamped
"report".

It then loads all reports (history) and builds a Excel sheet with those datas. The sheet has macros to build history
diagrams (example : "number of checkstyle warnings / line of code").

This way, project manager should get an excel report on project state and history.

Nico.

> On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 02:47, Nicolas De Loof wrote:
> > I was thinking about something like this.
> > I vas trying to build a plugin that should as a "site" postGoal
> > It works this way:
> >
> > For ecah "*-report.xml" file in target/generated-doc it search a coresponding
> > stylesheet (jsl in plugin-resources) and applies it.
> > It then concat the result of all those stylesheets to a merged-repport.xml that could
> > be formated by xdoc and becomes the project summary on the site. It couls also be saved
> > as timestamp or in DB.
>
> My only problem with that is the you probably need a different parser for each report.
> The plugin may know in a better way how to extract the relevant information. So I would perhaps rather have the
functionality to extract the info in each plugin, or at least make it possible to be there.
> The drawback with that are:
> - no centralization for information extraction
> - the plugin defines what is extracted. Each users may want different info.
>
> I would really appreciate some input/thoughts from the people who are working more on the core, such as Jason or
Vincent.

Our name has changed, please update your address book to the following format for the latest identities received "recipient@capgemini.com".

RE: plugin to gather statistics, make a summary and store themintoaDB

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@coffeebreaks.org>.
On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 02:59, Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> This sounds very similar to the dashboard plugin. Why don't we work all
> together to improve it? For example, you're interested in CSV extracts.
> That's a good idea and this feature can be very easily added to the
> dashboard plugin.
>
> Is there anything that you have in the system you're building that you
> cannot find in the dashboard plugin?

Hi,

I've been looking at cruisecontrol today, and from what I understand
(looking at the code, because it doesn't seem to work on my project) it
tries to make a summary page of each build.

It first merges all XML files into a big one, then uses XSLT called from
JSPs to extract the relevant information.

So it seems like the functionality is already there in another tool.

Jerome

RE: plugin to gather statistics, make a summary and store themintoaDB

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Nicolas,

This sounds very similar to the dashboard plugin. Why don't we work all
together to improve it? For example, you're interested in CSV extracts.
That's a good idea and this feature can be very easily added to the
dashboard plugin.

Is there anything that you have in the system you're building that you
cannot find in the dashboard plugin?

Thanks
-Vincent