Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Stanley Santiago <st...@netscape.com> on 2000/08/31 01:23:03 UTC

Property lookup

In trying to use the struts:message tag, I ran into a situation where
the value for the
key attribute is generated at run time.

for example...
<struts:message key="<%= foo %>" />

This is not supported currently but probably a useful feature to have.

Stan

Re: Property lookup

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Frank Nguyen wrote:

> Is it because of performance reasons that the property <rtexprvalue> is set
> to false for almost all
> the attributes of the Struts tags?  I actually have to change a few of them
> to true, including the one for
> the struts:message.key property.

Yes; however, the impact should be rather small in general.  I tend to be a
little conservative about things like that, but I'm certainly open to
suggestion on which tags should allow runtime expressions for which attributes.

The <struts:message key="xxx"/> tag was just fixed.  Are there other tags in
particular that you think should allow runtime expressions (or that you've
changed in your own copy of Struts and might be globally useful)?

Craig

--
====================
                                    Applications to Tomcat

Re: Property lookup

Re: Property lookup

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Stanley Santiago wrote:

> In trying to use the struts:message tag, I ran into a situation where
> the value for the
> key attribute is generated at run time.
>
> for example...
> <struts:message key="<%= foo %>" />
>
> This is not supported currently but probably a useful feature to have.

That certainly makes sense.  I just checked in a change to the struts.tld
file to enable this, which will show up in tonight's nightly build.

> Stan

Craig McClanahan

                                    Applications to Tomcat