Posted to site-dev@james.apache.org by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com> on 2012/02/19 18:38:26 UTC

James server todo list

James Server - To Do web page.....

http://james.apache.org/server/todo.html

 From the web page -  "This is a living document that will give new and
existing volunteers some areas where we need help. As always, any help
is appreciated, be it documentation, code, suggestions, or feedback.
Last Updated July 2006."

Last Updated July 2006 ??????   Wow! Slow progress!

Almost hate to ask, knowing this is a volunteer project, but is there a
road map with estimated delivery dates published anywhere. I was unable
to find anything...

My main interest being when will the mail list manager and support for
mail lists be available in James 3.0? Closest thing I found to answering
this was at -

but was discouraged to read at the bottom of the page -

MailingListManager (last edited 2009-09-20 22:58:13 by localhost)

Doesn't appear the James website is maintained very well and kept up to
date.....

    Marc...

--
"The Truth is out there" - Spooky

Re: James server todo list

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.
On 2/19/2012 9:51 AM, Eric Charles wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> The website: I don't think the todo.html is still referenced via a
> menu or a link, maybe you felt upon it via serch engine.  Can you tell
> us more?
Eric - Thanks for the reply...  Go to http://james.apache.org  click on
Server which takes one to http://james.apache.org/server/index.html  At
the bottom of that page there is a line which reads -

You can have also have a look on our to do
<http://james.apache.org/server/todo.html> list ......

The "to do" is a link which takes one to the
http://james.apache.org/server/todo.html page....

> The wiki: Many pages should be removed or migrated to the website.
> Volunteers welcome :)
Trouble with volunteering is that one has to be knowledgeable about
James in order to be useful...

> The mailing list feature: it has been removed for 3.0 but can be
> readded whenever someone would have time to do it.
I started to poke at 3.0 a while back, looking to see what it might take
to add the mail list manager to it. But got overwhelmed by the steep
learning curve required to understand what is needed.. So gave up, but
maybe I will take another stab at it... Then I might be useful with
helping on some of the web pages... Lot will depend on how much spare
time I have though...

> We are heading to 3.0b4 within 2 weeks.
I will look forward to it, but without a mail list manager and support I
really cannot upgrade or use it. So have to stick with 2.3.2 for now..

> Thx to push us :)
>
> Eric
You are welcome!   Marc..

--
"The Truth is out there" - Spooky

Re: James server todo list

Posted by Ioan Eugen STAN <st...@gmail.com>.
On Du 19 feb 2012 19:51:36 +0200, Eric Charles wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> The website: I don't think the todo.html is still referenced via a
> menu or a link, maybe you felt upon it via serch engine.  Can you tell
> us more?
>
> The wiki: Many pages should be removed or migrated to the website.
> Volunteers welcome :)
>
> The mailing list feature: it has been removed for 3.0 but can be
> readded whenever someone would have time to do it.
>
> We are heading to 3.0b4 within 2 weeks.
>
> Thx to push us :)
>
> Eric
>

> On 19/02/12 18:38, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>> James Server - To Do web page.....
>>
>> http://james.apache.org/server/todo.html
>>
>>  From the web page - "This is a living document that will give new and
>> existing volunteers some areas where we need help. As always, any help
>> is appreciated, be it documentation, code, suggestions, or feedback.
>> Last Updated July 2006."
>>
>> Last Updated July 2006 ?????? Wow! Slow progress!
>>
>> Almost hate to ask, knowing this is a volunteer project, but is there a
>> road map with estimated delivery dates published anywhere. I was unable
>> to find anything...
>>
>> My main interest being when will the mail list manager and support for
>> mail lists be available in James 3.0? Closest thing I found to answering
>> this was at -

>> but was discouraged to read at the bottom of the page -
>>
>> MailingListManager (last edited 2009-09-20 22:58:13 by localhost)
>>
>> Doesn't appear the James website is maintained very well and kept up to
>> date.....
>>
>> Marc...

Hello Marc,

To second what Eric said. The project is still very active. We
recognized that the web-site and the information there needs a lot of
TLC but unfortunately we did not find a good solution until recently.
I believe  things will change for the better with the upcoming
migration to Apache CMS. This will enable more user friendly
site-updates with immediate feedback.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-1374

I also talked to Eric about the mailing list feature that I think will
grow the number of James users. I don't have knowledge about the
implementation but I think it was/could be implemented as a Mailet.
This will make it very easy to customize.

Cheers,

Re: James server todo list

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Marc,