Posted to modperl-cvs@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <sb...@iil.intel.com> on 1998/12/23 19:21:45 UTC

new modperl-site

Hi, Doug

I'm thinking what's the best way to build the site and put more life into
it. The content will change but the menus should stay the same, also the
header and the tail. There are a few ways to implement this:

1) Frames. "Frames Sucks!" - you know why...

2) SSI. Does taz accepts SSIs? at least the include (virtual) feature?
This way every page will be created from a few pieces where one will
change - the content, and the rest will stay unchanged (menu,bottom and
etc) So if you change either of the static parts you do it only once.
That's how our Intranet works. This is convenient since you just change
some content and everything is being updated without you moving a finger.

3) SiteBuilder. My TULARC site includes headers and tails which are the
same, at the beginning when it was little I did all the changes by hand,
so when I have had to replace the banner, I opened each file changed it
and saved it. When the site became bigger it became an overkill. So I
wrote the script to build the site from different components. But the
difference is that I made it only once after I did some changes, and only
the files that have been changed were rebuild. Whenever client makes a
request it receives the who document which is static, no includes, no
scripts that generate the doc on the fly.

So what do you think is the best way for the new modperl site?
Or you might have some other ideas?

Basically I see the site very simple and light. Every page has a menu ,
top, content and the tail. With as little graphics as possible. We aren't
into design firm, we just want to provide information in the easy and nice
way. nothing else.