Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/20 16:54:12 UTC

[DISCUSS]: I would like to propose a new conversion mode parameter

Hi,

OpenOffice is not only used as desktop application but also as hidden
part of other software and often as a conversion engine in the backend.

OpenOffice has very good filters for many file formats and the usage as
a conversion engine is straight forward. And the conversion from one
format into another can be improved and optimized by some special
handling of parts of the document.

For example external linked parts can be ignored and don't have to be
loaded during conversion, embedded images can be simply copied etc.

I would like to improve AOO for this kind of usage by introducing a new
parameter "-conversionmode". It's not comparable with the command line
parameter "-headless" or the "hidden" property for loadComponentFromUrl().

The intention of this new global option is to have it available
everywhere in the underlying code to optimize the performance of the
conversion.

This should have no influence/impact on the normal workflow but will
help to make AOO potentially more attractive for backend usage. Means it
will help to grow the broader eco-system around AOO.

Juergen

Re: [DISCUSS]: I would like to propose a new conversion mode parameter

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 8/21/12 10:48 AM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 8/21/12 3:46 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> OpenOffice is not only used as desktop application but also as hidden
>>> part of other software and often as a conversion engine in the backend.
>>>
>>> OpenOffice has very good filters for many file formats and the usage as
>>> a conversion engine is straight forward. And the conversion from one
>>> format into another can be improved and optimized by some special
>>> handling of parts of the document.
>>>
>>> For example external linked parts can be ignored and don't have to be
>>> loaded during conversion, embedded images can be simply copied etc.
>>>
>>> I would like to improve AOO for this kind of usage by introducing a new
>>> parameter "-conversionmode". It's not comparable with the command line
>>> parameter "-headless" or the "hidden" property for loadComponentFromUrl().
>>>
>>> The intention of this new global option is to have it available
>>> everywhere in the underlying code to optimize the performance of the
>>> conversion.
>>>

>> It is an interesting idea.  Perhaps in the future it could be combined
>> with a #define and its own makefile so we could compile the project
>> for this purpose specifically, perhaps having a smaller memory
>> footprint.  Or do you think you can get most of the benefit with
>> run-time flags alone?
>
> probably not and it can be a combination of both. I think mechanisms to
> exclude specific code at compile time will provide further
> opportunities. This can evolve over time and we can make use of this on
> demand.
>
> Juergen

for now I propose the following where I have a patch in the queue already.

1. new cmd line option "-conversionmode". This option enables
automatically "headless" mode and can be seen as an extension to that.
"headless" is already an extension to "invisible". We can see if this
fits together or if we have to distinguish the modes. Let it evolve and
adapt it on demand.

2. cmd line help

###
OpenOffice.org 3.5  350m1(Build:9610)

Usage: soffice [options] [documents...]

-minimized      keep startup bitmap minimized.
-invisible      no startup screen, no default document and no UI.
-norestore      suppress restart/restore after fatal errors.
-quickstart     starts the quickstart service (only available on windows
and OS/2 platform)
-nologo         don't show startup screen.
-nolockcheck    don't check for remote instances using the installation
-nodefault      don't start with an empty document
-headless       like invisible but no userinteraction at all.
*-conversionmode enable further optimization for document conversion,*
includes enabled headless mode.
-help/-h/-?     show this message and exit.
-writer         create new text document.
###

3. usage in the code

Similar to handling the headless mode. The Application class in vcl gets
2 new member functions.

static void Application::EnableConversionMode(bool bEnableConv = true);
static bool Application::IsConversionModeEnabled();

And the desktop::CommandLineArgs class get also a new member

sal_Bool desktop::CommandLineArgs::IsConversionMode() const;

With this change it is possible to make use of the conversion mode in
the code and further optimization can be triggered.

I will also check all other parameters to get an even better overview
what we already have, what is documented and what not etc.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by shzh zhao <ao...@gmail.com>.
+1
I thinks performance will be greatly improved in Toc loading of sw and
chart,data pilot loading, cell string format,
row height adjust in Calc.

--
*

mailto: *aoo.zhaoshzh@gmail.com <https://google.com/profiles>
<https://google.com/profiles>

Re: [DISCUSS]: I would like to propose a new conversion mode parameter

Posted by Zhe Liu <al...@gmail.com>.
2012/8/20 Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> OpenOffice is not only used as desktop application but also as hidden
> part of other software and often as a conversion engine in the backend.
>
> OpenOffice has very good filters for many file formats and the usage as
> a conversion engine is straight forward. And the conversion from one
> format into another can be improved and optimized by some special
> handling of parts of the document.
>
> For example external linked parts can be ignored and don't have to be
> loaded during conversion, embedded images can be simply copied etc.
>
> I would like to improve AOO for this kind of usage by introducing a new
> parameter "-conversionmode". It's not comparable with the command line
> parameter "-headless" or the "hidden" property for loadComponentFromUrl().
>
> The intention of this new global option is to have it available
> everywhere in the underlying code to optimize the performance of the
> conversion.
>
> This should have no influence/impact on the normal workflow but will
> help to make AOO potentially more attractive for backend usage. Means it
> will help to grow the broader eco-system around AOO.
>
> Juergen

+1. It makes sense.

--
Best Regards

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.
> Hi,
>
> I get XENA's help page as below link, and it's using LibOffice as a plugin,
> not AOO.
> http://xena.sourceforge.net/help.php?page=setoffice.html
>
> The external tool for converting office documents to Open Document Format
> (ODF) is *LibreOffice*.

Doesn't matter, it originally used OOo, it still relies on OOo code as an ODF
editor, LO is still OOo code, if you want to use Xena you can use AOO as it's
plugin.

Cheers
GL

Posted by Ying Zhang <tl...@gmail.com>.
+1
I think it's a good point for another user case that using AOO as
conversion service, and under this mode, we could disable more operations
with no use for file conversion and time cost.
And further more, we need to define the target and also find the test
method on how to ensure the quality under this mode.

Posted by bjcheny <co...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
KG01 - see comments inline.

Posted by De Bin Lei <de...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Best regards
Lei De Bin

Re: [DISCUSS]: I would like to propose a new conversion mode parameter

Posted by chengjh <ch...@apache.org>.
+1,sounds a good idea,it will extend the usage areas of Aoo with better
performance and expectation.

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 08/21/2012 03:38 AM, schrieb Lei Wang:
>
>  On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 4:18 AM, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>  Am 08/20/2012 04:54 PM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
>>>
>>>   OpenOffice is not only used as desktop application but also as hidden

>>> Sounds reasonable. However, especially with the previous paragraph I
>>> don't
>>> know if I understood right. Do you want to simply make the import/export
>>> of
>>> docs faster when AOO isn't running in graphical mode?
>>>
>>> Would be great if you can fill this with some more details.
>>>

>> For some enterprise user, AOO is used as a document conversion service in
>> backend. For an example, convert MS 2003 binary file format to ODF file
>> format. This conversion service does not need  GUI. And user can not
>> interrupt the process, which bring performance improvement opportunity
>> which Jurgen mentioned.
>>

> Thanks for your explaination. Now it's clear. ;-)
>
> Marcus
>

>    This should have no influence/impact on the normal workflow but will

--

Best Regards,Jianhong Cheng

Re: [DISCUSS]: I would like to propose a new conversion mode parameter

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Liu Da Li <wa...@gmail.com>.
This is a good idea, the conversion mode can be used in some solutions, the
AOO eco system will be extend.

Posted by Lei Wang <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.