Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Ramprakash Ramamoorthy <yo...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/30 14:19:17 UTC

Smoothing parameter in naive bayes classifier

Dear all,

     I see that I can set an alpha(smoothing parameter) to the Naive Bayes
classifier in apache mahout. The default value of alpha has been set to 1
and is an optional parameter. How does this alpha value affect the
classification results, can I just ignore it and use the default value or
should I change it for optimal classification?

--
With Thanks and Regards,
Ramprakash Ramamoorthy,

Re: Smoothing parameter in naive bayes classifier

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
There are two Bayes classifiers. 'TrainClassifier' and
'TestClassifier' are the "old" implementation. These apps take an
alpha parameter, but I cannot find where they consult it. Changing it
has no effect on the algorithm's performance in the 20 Newsgroups
example.

The ASF Emails example script examples/bin/asf-email-examples.sh uses
the new Bayes classifier, and changing Alpha does have an effect.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Smoothing parameter in naive bayes classifier

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.