Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by phillip rhodes <rh...@yahoo.com> on 2004/08/22 20:15:26 UTC

anyone using tapestry with Prevayler?

Tapestry makes it so so so very nice and easy to
update an object glyph.  For example, I can edit an
order and all it's order line items in a single web
action.

I never experienced anything so powerful in a web
development environment.

However, because tapestry moves me away from the micro
management of my business objects, I am finding it
difficult to use prevayler.
Prevayler requires updates to my business objects to
occur using a prevalyer transaction.

Prevalyer is new to me, as is tapestry, but was hoping
that someone is already using this combo and may give
me a few pointers and save me a few sleepless nights.

Thanks.

Re: anyone using tapestry with Prevayler?

Posted by Marcus Brito <mb...@gmail.com>.
I tried, and failed. Ok, not really failed... but prevayler actually
imposes too much restrictions to be pratical to use with tapestry.

First, one thing I love about tapestry is the ability to use real
objects as page properties, and not just ID's. Even if you can manage
to update your objects only inside transactions, prevayler dictates
you should lookup any object you need inside the transaction. Guess
what will you need to do these lookups? yep, good'ol object id's.

I'm sure I'll be flamed to death, but I don't think prevayler makes a
good partner for Tapestry. Using hibernate and a open-session-in-view
filter makes your life way easier -- and if can always use fast
in-memory databases like hqsl if you don't need a full-fledged
storage.

-- Marcus Brito