Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Phil Coates <ph...@sparqlr.com> on 2013/10/22 12:13:52 UTC

Jena Eyeball

Hi,

Is anyone actively working on Eyeball at the moment?

We're developing some applications where we'd love to use it for validation
of ontologies and for checking uploaded RDF against these ontologies
(amongst other things, e.g. SPARQL-based inspection)

If we use it, it would be handy if it was in a Maven-friendly format; if
no-one is currently doing any active development of the project, would
anyone have any objections to me Mavenizing it?

Could it then be moved over to Apache with the rest of Jena?

Many thanks,

Philip Coates
Director
Semantic Integration Ltd.

Re: Jena Eyeball

Posted by Mike Grove <mi...@clarkparsia.com>.
fwiw, if someone is going to update Eyeball, doing so wrt to what's been
going on in RDF validation [1] might make sense.

Cheers,

Mike

[1] http://www.w3.org/2012/12/rdf-val/

Re: Jena Eyeball

Posted by Phil Coates <ph...@sparqlr.com>.
That's fine - the next big push for things will probably be for Java 8
anyway.

I think I found some counter-based for loops in Inspector.java, but without
looking at the tests, etc. I can't see if this is deliberate.

Well aware of the dangers of static analysis tools, but they have some uses.

Re: Jena Eyeball

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Jena Eyeball

Posted by Chris Dollin <ch...@epimorphics.com>.

Re: Re: Re: Jena Eyeball

Posted by Phil Coates <ph...@sparqlr.com>.
Does anyone have any objections if I make a few changes:

1)  reformat code style towards more standard K&R-style (basically IDE
autoformat, nothing particularly controversial: e.g. 4 spaces per indent,
opening curly brace on same line, etc.)
2)  Use Java 5+ where relevant (e.g. foreach, generics) - maybe even Java 7?
3)  Remove "unused" code, so things like unnecessary default constructors,
etc. (checking with FindBugs, etc.)

Thanks,

Phil

Re: Re: Re: Jena Eyeball

Posted by Chris Dollin <ch...@epimorphics.com>.

Re: Re: Jena Eyeball

Posted by Phil Coates <ph...@sparqlr.com>.
Wow, Chris, that's fantastic!

Re: Re: Jena Eyeball

Posted by Chris Dollin <ch...@epimorphics.com>.

Re: Jena Eyeball

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 22/10/13 13:54, Chris Dollin wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:13:52 AM Phil Coates wrote:
>> Could it then be moved over to Apache with the rest of Jena?
>
> That would take a vote, I believe.

Not need in this case because it was covered by the HP Software Grant
that moved the code from SourceForge to Apache and is already here.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jena/Import/Jena-CVS/Eyeball/

It is not in state where it can be released as-is : it does need some
cleaning up : bring uptodate with Jena, the build, legal (what
dependecies does it have?) and a release.

	Andy

Re: Jena Eyeball

Posted by Phil Coates <ph...@sparqlr.com>.
Great, where should I start?

I can pull a version of the source from https://svn.apache.org/repos/**
asf/jena/Import/Jena-CVS/**Eyeball/<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jena/Import/Jena-CVS/Eyeball/>
into
GitHub and work on a simple migration of v2.3 from Ant to Maven there
(should the version go to 2.3.1 or something?) or do you have a preferred
repo location/SCM for doing this?

We could then look at the latest (2012) validation changes and see
where/how these can be implemented in future,

Thanks,

Phil.

Re: Jena Eyeball

Posted by Chris Dollin <ch...@epimorphics.com>.