Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> on 2006/05/27 23:54:43 UTC

Windows and colon as separator for pubs.root.dirs and modules.root.dirs

Hi

It seems to me that on Windows one has trouble using colon as separator
within
the pubs.root.dirs and modules.root.dirs within
(local.)build.properties, because
on Windows the colon is used for denoting "harddisks/partitions", e.g.

D:\pubs\...;C:\pubs\...

so I would suggest that we switch to semi-colon. Or do I missunderstand
something?

WDYT?

Thanks

Michi

--
Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: Windows and colon as separator for pubs.root.dirs and modules.root.dirs

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
michael@ralston.id.au wrote:
>> I think you misunderstand it. It's only about (local.)build.properties
>> and how publications and modules are being registered during the Lenya
>> build process. Or maybe I misunderstand you ;-)
>>

> Yes I see, I'm completely off the track :)
>
> On a similar note though, I have my lenya development environment shared
> over a linux and a windows system and I just use relative paths so they
> both build without changing the local.build.properties.

relative paths are fine :-)

Michi

Posted by mi...@ralston.id.au.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> [...]
>
>> People will have to update their local.build.properties file, which
>> we can enforce
>> them to do so, but that should be it. Shall I switch it ... ;-)
>

> +1 in trunk

me too

> Since it is possible to express all locations using relative paths
> and therefore the change not absolutely necessary,

on Windows it is necessary, but one could argue since nobody complains,
hence
once could leave it as a bug of 1.2.X which nobody seems to care about
to be fixed.

> I'm a little
> hesitant regarding the branch 1.2 ...

I think we should also fix it for 1.2.5-dev, because I think it is a
bug, but see above.

Michi

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Michael Wechner wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> It seems to me that on Windows one has trouble using colon as
>>> separator within
>>> the pubs.root.dirs and modules.root.dirs within
>>> (local.)build.properties, because
>>> on Windows the colon is used for denoting "harddisks/partitions", e.g.
>>>
>>> D:\pubs\...;C:\pubs\...
>>>
>>> so I would suggest that we switch to semi-colon.

[...]

> People will have to update their local.build.properties file, which we
> can enforce
> them to do so, but that should be it. Shall I switch it ... ;-)

+1 in trunk

Since it is possible to express all locations using relative paths
and therefore the change not absolutely necessary, I'm a little

andreas.hartmann@wyona.com                     andreas@apache.org

Re: Windows and colon as separator for pubs.root.dirs and modules.root.dirs

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> It seems to me that on Windows one has trouble using colon as
>> separator within
>> the pubs.root.dirs and modules.root.dirs within
>> (local.)build.properties, because
>> on Windows the colon is used for denoting "harddisks/partitions", e.g.
>>
>> D:\pubs\...;C:\pubs\...
>>
>> so I would suggest that we switch to semi-colon.
>

> That makes sense - but I wonder why nobody ever complained about this
> (or maybe I just don't remember).

that's what I wondered as well, but maybe people are using relative links,
which works if you are on the same harddisk/partition, but otherwise it
doesn't.
Or people are not using Lenya on Windows in production ...

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Hi
>
> It seems to me that on Windows one has trouble using colon as separator
> within
> the pubs.root.dirs and modules.root.dirs within
> (local.)build.properties, because
> on Windows the colon is used for denoting "harddisks/partitions", e.g.
>
> D:\pubs\...;C:\pubs\...
>
> so I would suggest that we switch to semi-colon.

That makes sense - but I wonder why nobody ever complained about this
(or maybe I just don't remember). How big is the impact of this change
on the code?

-- Andreas