Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com> on 2020/11/01 16:53:06 UTC

So long and thanks for all the fish

TWIMC,

For several years I've been wondering how I want to address the issue of
my online presence at end of life. Over the last year I've decided that
my choice is to remove that presence. I've been thinking I'd begin the
lengthy process at the beginning of next year but now seems an
auspicious time.NetBeans and jVi are my two largest attachments. I had
withdrawn when NetBeans moved to Apache; but a jVi user opened a feature
request to "join apache netbeans" at the end of 2019 and I got sucked
right back in ;-)

*JavaFX Maven Archetypes:*

The only direct NetBeans hook is
https://github.com/errael/javafx-maven-archetypes-netbeans. This project
builds the archetypes which are referenced from
NewProject>JavaWithMaven>...JavaFXMavenArchetype... The archetypes are
referenced from
.../javafx/javafx2.kit/src/org/netbeans/modules/javafx2/kit/JavaFXWizardIterator.java.
Of course, that reference to maven central will continue to work "forever"

However at some point in time someone might want to make a change to
these archetypes. Someone might want to create a copy of the github
repository that builds them. Additionally, for most of the
updates/changes in that repository I open PRs to
https://github.com/openjfx/javafx-maven-archetypes. There has been some
discussion and changes made to the PRs through the process, but they
were never merged despite some hopeful signs.

I'll send another message about jVi.

-ernie