Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Marilen Corciovei <le...@nemesisit.rdsnet.ro> on 2006/12/19 12:52:50 UTC

Migration experiences (3.0 -> 4.1?)

Hello,

I have been working on a Tapestry based product started almost 2.5 years
ago. It's a CMS based product targeted at french cityhalls sites (as
described here: http://www.nemesisit.ro/clients/case-study ). This was
build on 3.0 beta and then on 3.0.3. Now it's in production from more
than one year and they want to begin a new cycle of developments. I want
to try to impose a migration on the new versions. As this does not seem
always usefull for non-technical people I am trying first to estimate
the efforts implied. I have also worked on 4.0 based projects and there
are some differences. 4.1 seems to finally remove all the deprecated
stuff in 4.0.

What are your migration experiences from 3.0 to 4.0 or 4.1. Is there a
migration directly to 4.1 much too complicated, has anyone did that? The
project was quite large and on several ocasions I had to overwrite
components or use some "tricks". One aspect which I want to keep in mind
is that I did a migration from 2.3 to 3.0 in the past on an equaly large
project and I ended up with some very non-uniform code. Even if the
old .page or .jwc component definitions still worked I had no reason not
to use the @Component in template definitions so the pages are quite
strange to look on. It's rather obvious where all the new code is. So, I
would like to avoid having this "diversity" once again.

Thank you,
Len
www.len.ro

Re: Migration experiences (3.0 -> 4.1?)

Posted by Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com>.
I migrated 2 sites from 3.x to 4.0.x. I just put in the new libraries
and fixed everything that did not compile. For the most part the 3.x
html and page files will work. Both took a couple of days to get a
site that mostly worked. The biggest problems were things like PDF
pages, all the plain HTML stuff was pretty easy.

But as you say, you end up the something odd after this. On one
project I just put up with the fact that it's an in transition
project. Anything new I do the 4.x way. When I have to mess with old
code I update things. On the other project I took the opportunity to
clean things up and started over. I needed to make some schema
changes, I wrote a bunch of hivemind services and pretty much rewrote
the entire site. That took about 6 weeks but the new site is better,
has test cases and is much easier to work on now.

I would try and covert the site, get some experience with 4 and when
the time is right rework the site to take advantage of the 4.x
features

Barry

RE: Migration experiences (3.0 -> 4.1?)

Posted by "Robert J. Walker" <rw...@mshare.net>.
I've been migrating from 3.1 to 4.1, and yes, it's been pretty painful. The documentation found at http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4/ and http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4/UsersGuide/upgrade.html is woefully incomplete unless your application is very simple. I've been keeping notes on everything I've discovered in my migration efforts, so maybe I could post them on the Tapestry Wiki when I'm done.

Robert J. Walker

Posted by Jean-Philippe Bouchard <je...@mail.mcgill.ca>.
I migrated from 3.0 to 4.0 using this xsl stylesheet:
http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Tapestry3ToTapestry4

It was a while back so I don't remember the details of the migration but
I do remember it being pretty painless. As from 4.0 to 4.1, I can't say.

Ciao
JPB