Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Dakshika Jayathilaka <da...@wso2.com> on 2015/02/01 06:54:43 UTC

[Discuss] Add inline help text with form fields in UI

Hi Devs,

As we know stratos new UI contain JSON Schema based form generation logic.
JSON schema is
supported to have "description" filed for each JSON key. [1]

Also some fields generated from JSON needs to have inline help text in
order to improve the *User experience. *I can simply embed this with
current logic by adding description filed to JSON
schema + few js.

ex: in tenant JSON schema

       "adminPassword": {
            "type":"string",
            "id": "root/adminPassword",
            "format":"password",
            "default": "admin123",
            "title": "Admin user password",
          *  "description":"You need to add least 6 characters including
number",*
            "name": "Admin user password"
        },

This can be display on UI like below.

If any schema contain description filed it will display help icon like
below.

​
once you click on help icon it will display "description" text after the
filed.

​
WDYT?

[1] http://json-schema.org/example1.html

Thank you,

Bst Regards,

*Dakshika Jayathilaka*
Software Engineer
WSO2, Inc.
lean.enterprise.middleware
0771100911

Re: [Discuss] Add inline help text with form fields in UI

Posted by shiro <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dakshika,

This is good - especially since this is supported in the way UIs are
created off the schema.

1. Once displayed how can a user get rid of it - by clicking on the
question mark again ?
2. Not sure whether this is too idealistic - but would it make sense to
have a modus operandi where these help messages are always shown (at least
some) for basic users and shown on demand like explained above for users
beyond basic level - this would also however need a context managing for
user profiles so that the UI'd know which level the logged in user is.
3. I guess we have another item to look into soon - ability to easily
internationalize the UIs. When doing that we'd have to move the actual
message from the schema definition and refer it from somewhere ?

Thank you,
Shiro

Posted by Dakshika Jayathilaka <da...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.