Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/15 18:01:55 UTC

Re: Creating Spark Extras project, was Re: SPARK-13843 and future of streaming backends

After some collaboration with other community members, we have created a
initial draft for Spark Extras which is available for review at

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zRFGG4414LhbKlGbYncZ13nyX34Rw4sfWhZRA5YBtIE/edit?usp=sharing

We would like to invite other community members to participate in the
project, particularly the Spark Committers and PMC (feel free to express
interest and I will update the proposal). Another option here is just to
give ALL Spark committers write access to "Spark Extras".

We also have couple asks from the Spark PMC :

- Permission to use "Spark Extras" as the project name. We already checked
this with Apache Brand Management, and the recommendation was to discuss
and reach consensus with the Spark PMC.

- We would also want to check with the Spark PMC that, in case of
successfully creation of  "Spark Extras", if the PMC would be willing to
continue the development of the remaining connectors that stayed in Spark
2.0 codebase in the "Spark Extras" project.

Thanks in advance, and we welcome any feedback around this proposal before
we present to the Apache Board for consideration.

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975

Re: Creating Spark Extras project, was Re: SPARK-13843 and future of streaming backends

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.
100% agree with Sean & Reynold's comments on this.

Adding this as a TLP would just cause more confusion as to "official"
endorsement.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Yeah, so it’s the *Apache Spark* project. Just to clarify.
Not once did you say Apache Spark below.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Why would this need to be an ASF project of its own? I don't think
> it's possible to have a yet another separate "Spark Extras" TLP (?)
>
> There is already a project to manage these bits of code on Github. How
> about all of the interested parties manage the code there, under the
> same process, under the same license, etc?

This whole discussion started when some of the connectors were moved from
Apache to Github, which makes a statement that The "Spark Governance" of
the bits is something very valuable by the community, consumers, and other
companies that are consuming open source code. Being an Apache project also
allows the project to use and share the Apache infrastructure to run the
project.

> I'm not against calling it Spark Extras myself but I wonder if that
> needlessly confuses the situation. They aren't part of the Spark TLP
> on purpose, so trying to give it some special middle-ground status
> might just be confusing. The thing that comes to mind immediately is
> "Connectors for Apache Spark", spark-connectors, etc.

I know the name might be confusing, but I also think that the projects have
a very big synergy, more like sibling projects, where "Spark Extras"
extends the Spark community and develop/maintain components for, and pretty
much only for, Apache Spark.  Based on your comment above, if making the
project "Spark-Extras" a more acceptable name, I believe this is ok as well.

I also understand that the Spark PMC might have concerns with branding, and
that's why we are inviting all members of the Spark PMC to join the project
and help oversee and manage the project.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
I think this meant to be understood as a community site, and as a
directory listing pointers to third-party projects. It's not a project
of its own, and not part of Spark itself, with no special status. At
least, I think that's how it should be presented and pretty much seems
to come across that way.

Posted by Chris Fregly <ch...@fregly.com>.

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> [...]
> TLP, I
> >> would say Spark Committers and Apache Members can request to
> participate as
> >> PMC members, while other committers can request to become committers.
> Non
> >> committers would be added based on meritocracy after the start of the
> >> project.
> >>
> >> Project Name
> >>
> >> It would be ideal if we could have a project name that shows close ties
> >> Spark (e.g. Spark Extras or Spark Connectors) but we will need
> permission
> >> and support from whoever is going to evaluate the project proposal (e.g.
> >> Apache Board)
> >>

> >> Thoughts ?
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any big disagreement or objection to moving into this
> >> direction ?
> >>
> >> Otherwise, who would be interested in joining the project, so I can

*Chris Fregly*
Principal Data Solutions Engineer
IBM Spark Technology Center, San Francisco, CA
http://spark.tc | http://advancedspark.com

Re: Creating Spark Extras project, was Re: SPARK-13843 and future of streaming backends

Posted by Mridul Muralidharan <mr...@gmail.com>.
On Friday, April 15, 2016, Mattmann, Chris A (3980) <
chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Yeah in support of this statement I think that my primary interest in
> this Spark Extras and the good work by Luciano here is that anytime we
> take bits out of a code base and “move it to GitHub” I see a bad precedent
> being set.

Can't agree more !

> Creating this project at the ASF creates a synergy between *Apache Spark*
> which is *at the ASF*.

In addition, this will give all the "goodness " of being an Apache project
from a user/consumer point of view compared to a general  github project.

> We welcome comments and as Luciano said, this is meant to invite and be
> open to those in the Apache Spark PMC to join and help.

This would definitely be something worthwhile to explore.
+1

Regards
Mridul

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Reynold,

Thanks. Getting to the heart of this, I think that this project would
be successful if the Apache Spark PMC decided to participate and there
was some overlap. As much as I think it would be great to stand up another
project, the goal here from Luciano and crew (myself included) would be
to suggest it’s just as easy to start an Apache Incubator project to
manage “extra” pieces of Apache Spark code outside of the release cycle
and the other reasons stated that it made sense to move this code out of
the code base. This isn’t a competing effort to some code on GitHub that
was moved out of Apache source control from Apache Spark - it’s meant to
be an enabler to suggest that code could be managed here just as easily
(see the difference?)

Let me know what you think thanks Reynold.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Just want to provide a quick update that we have submitted the "Spark
Extras" proposal for review by the Apache board (see link below with the
contents).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zRFGG4414LhbKlGbYncZ13nyX34Rw4sfWhZRA5YBtIE/edit?usp=sharing

Note that we are in the quest for a project name that does not have "Spark"
as part of it, and we will provide an update here when we find a suitable
name. Suggestions are welcome (please send them directly to my inbox to
avoid flooding the mailing list).

Thanks

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Evan,

As long as you meet the criteria we discussed on this thread, you are
welcome to join.

Having said that, I have already seen other contributors that are very
active on some of connectors but are not Apache Committers yet, and i
wanted to be fair, and also avoid using the project as an avenue to bring
new committers to Apache.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Evan Chan <ve...@gmail.com>.
Hi folks,

Sorry to join the discussion late.  I had a look at the design doc
earlier in this thread, and it was not mentioned what types of
projects are the targets of this new "spark extras" ASF umbrella....

Is the desire to have a maintained set of spark-related projects that
keep pace with the main Spark development schedule?  Is it just for
streaming connectors?  what about data sources, and other important
projects in the Spark ecosystem?

I'm worried that this would relegate spark-packages to third tier
status, and the promotion of a select set of committers, and the

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Regards
JB

On 04/15/2016 06:41 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (3980) wrote:
> Yeah in support of this statement I think that my primary interest in
> this Spark Extras and the good work by Luciano here is that anytime we
> take bits out of a code base and “move it to GitHub” I see a bad precedent
> being set.
>
> Creating this project at the ASF creates a synergy between *Apache Spark*
> which is *at the ASF*.
>
> We welcome comments and as Luciano said, this is meant to invite and be
> open to those in the Apache Spark PMC to join and help.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

> Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
> Chief Architect
> Instrument Software and Science Data Systems Section (398)
> Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
> Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
> WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
> Director, Information Retrieval and Data Science Group (IRDS)
> Adjunct Associate Professor, Computer Science Department
> WWW: http://irds.usc.edu/
>

> On 4/15/16, 9:39 AM, "Luciano Resende" <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 9:34 AM, Cody Koeninger
>> <co...@koeninger.org> wrote:
>>
>> Given that not all of the connectors were removed, I think this
>> creates a weird / confusing three tier system
>>
>> 1. connectors in the official project's spark/extras or spark/external
>> 2. connectors in "Spark Extras"
>> 3. connectors in some random organization's github
>>

>> Agree Cody, and I think this is one of the goals of "Spark Extras", centralize the development of these connectors under one central place at Apache, and that's why one of our asks is to invite the Spark PMC to continue developing the remaining connectors
>> that stayed in Spark proper, in "Spark Extras". We will also discuss some process policies on enabling lowering the bar to allow proposal of these other github extensions to be part of "Spark Extras" while also considering a way to move code to a maintenance
>> mode location.
>>

>> --
>> Luciano Resende
>> http://twitter.com/lresende1975
>> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Creating Spark Extras project, was Re: SPARK-13843 and future of streaming backends

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.