Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2017/06/29 12:58:46 UTC

Re: Roster tool UX - global whimsy styles

Separately from how we display editable data, I'd like to use consistent
bootstrap styles for the overall roster pages: navbar/footer, and using
panels and/or bootstrap default table settings where possible.

https://github.com/apache/whimsy/commit/73949887ad8dc7b767ba6ff0e40875199df395a5

The roster-style branch does this for the /roster landing page, and for
the /roster/members listing page.  Issues/Questions:

- To apply whimsy&bootstrap styles throughout, much of the app.css file
will go away, since we'll be using default bootstrap styles.  That's why
the table separator lines run outside to the right of the panels on
/roster/members in this example.  Thus I'd like feedback on if this kind
of display is good before working through the rest of the roster html.

- For super-simple pages, I was going to leave small tables as-is, like
on /roster.

- For most pages, I propose wrapping tables in a _whimsy_panel_table, so
that we can provide a sentence of description for what the table is.

- Since different parts of the roster tool are member-private,
committer-private, or public, I think it's important to start
documenting this in the pages.  Hence the glyphicon_lock as a hint in
the explanatory text at the top of some tables.

- Haven't yet figured out why the stupidtable doesn't sort the Member
Listing table.

- Adding these styles can go forward separately from the "how to display
editable" work - although if we have a specific bootstrap style or
metaphor we want to wrap editable tables vs. read-only tables, now's the
time to discuss.

That is: one potential hint to users would be to wrap the Member or
Committer listing pages (read-only) in a certain color bootstrap
panel-primary, and wrap potentially editable listing pages like PMC
rosters in a different color panel-info or panel-success.

Comments?

- Shane

--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Re: Roster tool UX - global whimsy styles

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 29 June 2017 at 13:58, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> Separately from how we display editable data, I'd like to use consistent
> bootstrap styles for the overall roster pages: navbar/footer, and using
> panels and/or bootstrap default table settings where possible.
>
> https://github.com/apache/whimsy/commit/73949887ad8dc7b767ba6ff0e40875199df395a5
>
> The roster-style branch does this for the /roster landing page, and for
> the /roster/members listing page.  Issues/Questions:
>
> - To apply whimsy&bootstrap styles throughout, much of the app.css file
> will go away, since we'll be using default bootstrap styles.  That's why
> the table separator lines run outside to the right of the panels on
> /roster/members in this example.  Thus I'd like feedback on if this kind
> of display is good before working through the rest of the roster html.
>
> - For super-simple pages, I was going to leave small tables as-is, like
> on /roster.
>
> - For most pages, I propose wrapping tables in a _whimsy_panel_table, so
> that we can provide a sentence of description for what the table is.
>
> - Since different parts of the roster tool are member-private,
> committer-private, or public, I think it's important to start
> documenting this in the pages.  Hence the glyphicon_lock as a hint in
> the explanatory text at the top of some tables.
>
> - Haven't yet figured out why the stupidtable doesn't sort the Member
> Listing table.
>
> - Adding these styles can go forward separately from the "how to display
> editable" work - although if we have a specific bootstrap style or
> metaphor we want to wrap editable tables vs. read-only tables, now's the
> time to discuss.
>
> That is: one potential hint to users would be to wrap the Member or
> Committer listing pages (read-only) in a certain color bootstrap
> panel-primary, and wrap potentially editable listing pages like PMC
> rosters in a different color panel-info or panel-success.
>

> Comments?

[This is somewhat tangential, but needs to be considered in
conjunction with other markings:]

For large PMCs, it can be difficult to tell if a person is in the
committee group or the unix group without careful scrolling.
In particular, Incubator.
It would be useful to be able to add a background to show which is which.