Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Linda Hull <ch...@gmail.com> on 2022/12/20 09:47:45 UTC

Flying Cat broke Open Office 4.1.13 Installation Wizard

I have Windows 10 and Firefox 108.0.1 (64 bit.)  I have my computer set not
to update for 7 days and the 7 days aren't up yet.  I was planning to close
everything and reboot it, when I have time for that.

I was happily browsing and making notes.  Suddenly the screen went black!
The computer restarted and informed me that it was performing updates,
don't turn off my computer.  I let it do it's thing.  I was just reopening
updated Open Office (but it wasn't showing any of my documents) when a
black and white cat jumped on top of the desktop box, and the screen went
black, again.

I got up and looked at the desktop.  It seems the cat(s) had been using the
power plug as a step.  It was partially unplugged.  I plugged the power
plug back in and hit the power button.

Everything else looks fine, (Bless the notepad++ developer who just "1.
Fix empty session issue due to forced Windows update restart.)  Except, I'm
getting an error from Open Office.  It won't open!

Error:
[Open Office 4.1.13 Installation Wizard
Please exit OpenOffice 4.1.13 and the OpenOffice 4.1.13 Quickstarter before
you continue. If you are using a multi-user system, also make sure that no
other user has Open Office 4.1.13 open.]
[OK]

I looked up how to deal with this Error in the Forum.

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107930

Re: Can't reinstall on Windows 10
by Hagar Delest Sat Dec 17, 2022

    jilionaski wrote: ↑Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:58 pm
    'It might help you to reinstall Windows from System Settings. Click
"Start," "Settings," "Update and Security," "Restore," "Restore Computer,"
and "Start."'

"Nonsense."

AND

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=109080

 Re: Open Office has crashed

Post by Hagar Delest » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:57 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Open the Task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and kill all soffice.bin processes
that you can see. Then try to resume the installation.
Then, you can try to <reset your OpenOffice> user profile.
If no change, try LibreOffice.

That link goes to Here --->
https://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?p=58403#p58403
but gives me an error!

"Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to
user.services.openoffice.org. If you visit this site, attackers could try
to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do
to resolve it. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.

Learn more… [Go Back (Recommended)][Advanced...]]

***************

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19045.2364]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32> Taskkill /IM soffice.exe /F
ERROR: The process "soffice.exe" not found.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

***************

1. I do not want to reset MS Windows.  (Unless I have to?)
2. *The FireFox error is preventing me from learning how to reset my Open
Office profile. (Is there a bad link in the OpenOffice Forum?)
3. Changing the name in the Setup dialogue, from Linda to Lhull did
nothing.  I got the same error.
4. I am rather fond of the documents which I had open before all of this
happened, I want them back.
5. Apache Open Office is awesme because I have this wonderful email List to
ask questions on.

Help?

Linda

Re: Flying Cat broke Open Office 4.1.13 Installation Wizard

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
Top posting:

The quick solution may be to start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill all soffice.bin processes shown on TaskManager's tabs.  Doing that will kill all instances of OpenOffice which may be preventing a reintall.

Then reinstall OpenOffice.  Provided you have downloaded an OpenOffice installation file from https://www.openoffice.org/download/ (as redirected by it to SourceForge) you may safely disregard any security warnings.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>