Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Niko Wilfritz Sianipar Sianipar <ni...@yahoo.co.id> on 2007/06/28 07:08:31 UTC

Apache configuration (throughput of connection)

I have  some questions about apache configuration:
1. Does apache can be configured so he can order the clients according
to their throughput?
2. How can apache know the throughput of each client that connect to
 it?

Thank for your attention to my questions

---------------------------------
Kunjungi halaman depan Yahoo! Indonesia yang baru!

Apache configuration (throughput of connection)

Posted by Niko Wilfritz Sianipar Sianipar <ni...@yahoo.co.id>.
I want to improve the delay on the server,the mean response time by giving priority to the client that has fastest connection first. If the fastest connection receive priority at the server, they will have good conditions (in the server and in the network) to finish quickly, contributing to minimize the mean response time.I still don't know how to configure the apache to do this scheduling policy. And how the throughput of each client can be known by the apache. Thanks for your advice and answer for my problem.

---------------------------------
Kunjungi halaman depan Yahoo! Indonesia yang baru!

Balasan: RE: Balasan: Re: Apache configuration (throughput of connection)

Posted by Niko Wilfritz Sianipar Sianipar <ni...@yahoo.co.id>.

Posted by Niko Wilfritz Sianipar Sianipar <ni...@yahoo.co.id>.
I want to improve the delay on the server,the mean response time by giving priority to the client that has fastest connection first. If the fastest connection receive priority at the server, they will have good conditions (in the server and in the network) to finish quickly, contributing to minimize the mean response time.I still don't know how to configure the apache to do this scheduling policy. And how the throughput of each client can be known by the apache. Thanks for your advice and answer for my problem.

Allen Pulsifer <pu...@comcast.net> wrote: Apache already gives priority to the clients with the fastest connection.
To user stand why this is so, you need to understand how TCP/IP flow control
works and how that interacts with the send(), recv() and select() system
calls, and with the network send and receive buffers on the server and the
clients.  That is not something I'm going to explain though--you might be
able to find that information on the www or in a networking textbook.

Do you have any reason to believe the "priority" of serving clients is an
issue?  If so, I assume you have a testbed of some kind?  Please describe
your setup and what kind of performance you are experiencing.  What is the
bottleneck?  Outgoing network bandwidth?  The clients' individual and
collective bandwidth?  The internet?  Server CPU?  Server disk throughput?
In your setup, is Apache spending resources on slow clients that it could
reallocate to faster clients?  If so, what is the resource you believe could
be reallocated?  How do you propose to reallocate this resource and how will
that lead to higher performance?

In terms of measuring client throughput, if certain clients in your testbed
have faster connections, you could start by figuring out their IP addresses,
hack Apache to give those IP addresses higher priority, and see if that has
any effect on performance.

m/>  yang baru!

---------------------------------

Posted by Allen Pulsifer <pu...@comcast.net>.
Apache already gives priority to the clients with the fastest connection.
To user stand why this is so, you need to understand how TCP/IP flow control
works and how that interacts with the send(), recv() and select() system
calls, and with the network send and receive buffers on the server and the
clients.  That is not something I'm going to explain though--you might be
able to find that information on the www or in a networking textbook.

Do you have any reason to believe the "priority" of serving clients is an
issue?  If so, I assume you have a testbed of some kind?  Please describe
your setup and what kind of performance you are experiencing.  What is the
bottleneck?  Outgoing network bandwidth?  The clients' individual and
collective bandwidth?  The internet?  Server CPU?  Server disk throughput?
In your setup, is Apache spending resources on slow clients that it could
reallocate to faster clients?  If so, what is the resource you believe could
be reallocated?  How do you propose to reallocate this resource and how will
that lead to higher performance?

In terms of measuring client throughput, if certain clients in your testbed
have faster connections, you could start by figuring out their IP addresses,
hack Apache to give those IP addresses higher priority, and see if that has
any effect on performance.

m/>  yang baru!

Balasan: Re: Apache configuration (throughput of connection)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 6/28/07, Niko Wilfritz Sianipar Sianipar <ni...@yahoo.co.id> wrote:
> I have some questions about apache configuration:
> 1. Does apache can be configured so he can order the clients according
> to their throughput?

I don't know what you mean by "order the clients".

> 2. How can apache know the throughput of each client that connect to
>  it?

By "throughput" do you bandwidth available between the server and
client? There is no way for Apache to know this. There are, however,
certain models that will throttle client bandwidth usage to ensure
that nobody is hogging all the bandwidth. Check out
http://modules.apache.org/. This is something that is often better
performed at the (software or hardware) firewall, however.

Joshua.