Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Eric Johnson <er...@tibco.com> on 2011/04/04 23:32:49 UTC

Question for CXF developers - level of support for W3C SOAP/JMS specification

I've a question for the CXF developers. To quickly introduce myself, I'm
the chair of the W3C WG for SOAP/JMS [1].

We're at the point where we want to declare a "Proposed Recommendation"
(PR) for what is currently our "working draft" [2]. For those
unfamiliar, that's the step before declaring something an actual W3C
official "Recommendation." [4]

To achieve this milestone, we simply need to have two implementations of
the specification. More specifically, we need two implementations of
each and every normative statement of the specification - even those
normative statements that are optional.

 From work I've done looking at the source code and the samples, it
appears that CXF falls into that category. Of particular concern, we're
curious about the WSDL extension elements that we've defined, in part
because some of the vendors we've talked to have indicated that they
will not be supporting such extension elements.

In any case, I'm looking for some sort of public statement from the CXF
developers about each the normative statements ("assertions") [3] from
the spec, and whether each is covered by the CXF implementation. Since
the specification has changed slightly since the last working draft -
mostly to clarify the assertions, and fix some oversights - it would
actually be useful to know about CXF with respect to our latest working
copy, and its assertions [5], and that either or both will do.

Can anyone comment?

Thanks!

-Eric Johnson

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/soapjms/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-soapjms-20101026/
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-soapjms-20101026/#assertionsummary
[4] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#rec-advance
[5]
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2008/ws/soapjms/soapjms.html?content-type=text/html;charset=utf-8#assertionsummary

Re: Question for CXF developers - level of support for W3C SOAP/JMS specification

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday 18 April 2011 6:22:57 PM Eric Johnson wrote:

> > Looking at the test suite itself:
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/trunk/systests/transports/src/test/ja
> > va/org/apache/cxf/jms/testsuite/testcases
>
> Oh, excellent - I hadn't actually noticed where those were in the source
> tree. Looks like they moved slightly:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/trunk/systests/transport-jms/src/test/j
> ava/org/apache/cxf/jms/testsuite/services/

Yea.   The JMS stuff was split out a week or so ago to help reduce some build
times and dependency things and such.   Glad you found it.   :-)

> > I do see some tests that are missing from the official suite:
> > http://dev.w3.org/2008/ws/soapjms/testcases/testcases/testcases.html
> >
> > What I DON'T know is if the features tested by those tests are not
> > implemented in CXF or just not tested or possibly tested as part of one
> > of the other tests.    If anyone would like to fill those in, I'd be
> > happy to review and apply any patches.
>
> That, in and of itself is useful - some of those tests don't matter,
> because they don't address portions of the specification that are
> normative (we "demoted" the WSDL 2.0 support, because we didn't
> anticipate two interoperable versions.)
>
> I did a cross-reference on all those tests, and it looks like the one
> we're missing is Protocol-2070

Well, the good news is that I believe it is already supported.   If you look
in
rt/transports/jms/src/test/java/org/apache/cxf/transport/jms/uri/JMSEndpointTest.java
in method testReplyToNameParameters there are some tests for testing to make
sure the topicReplyToName and such are properly set on the endpoint and the
class:
rt/transports/jms/src/main/java/org/apache/cxf/transport/jms/uri/JMSEndpointParser.java
does parse those attributes.   Thus, I'm "pretty sure" it already works.
Obviously a real test would be great.  :-)

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Question for CXF developers - level of support for W3C SOAP/JMS specification

Posted by Eric Johnson <er...@tibco.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the very quick response. Sorry, I've been a little swamped.
My best attempt at answers follows.

On 4/5/11 7:45 AM, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> On Monday 04 April 2011 5:32:49 PM Eric Johnson wrote:
>> I've a question for the CXF developers. To quickly introduce myself, I'm
>> the chair of the W3C WG for SOAP/JMS [1].
>>
>> We're at the point where we want to declare a "Proposed Recommendation"
>> (PR) for what is currently our "working draft" [2]. For those
>> unfamiliar, that's the step before declaring something an actual W3C
>> official "Recommendation." [4]
>>
>> To achieve this milestone, we simply need to have two implementations of
>> the specification. More specifically, we need two implementations of
>> each and every normative statement of the specification - even those
>> normative statements that are optional.
> That's interesting.     If you don't mind my asking, what's the other
> implementation?   Not sure if you can say that or not.   We've obviously done
> quite a bit of testing CXF<--->CXF, but not really any interop testing.
> Thus, it would be good to really try some interop testing with another
> implementation.

I believe that the IBM WebSphere Application Server, version 8, has this
capability. Currently in beta I think, but I think if you crawl around
their site you can find the download.

>>    From work I've done looking at the source code and the samples, it
>> appears that CXF falls into that category. Of particular concern, we're
>> curious about the WSDL extension elements that we've defined, in part
>> because some of the vendors we've talked to have indicated that they
>> will not be supporting such extension elements.
> I know we have some tests that stick the extensions all over the place in the
> wsdl.   While I personsonally don't aggree with some of the places they are
> allowed, I know the spec does allow for them so the tests are valid.

>> In any case, I'm looking for some sort of public statement from the CXF
>> developers about each the normative statements ("assertions") [3] from
>> the spec, and whether each is covered by the CXF implementation. Since
>> the specification has changed slightly since the last working draft -
>> mostly to clarify the assertions, and fix some oversights - it would
>> actually be useful to know about CXF with respect to our latest working
>> copy, and its assertions [5], and that either or both will do.
>>
>> Can anyone comment?
> Honestly, Peter Easton might know a bit more since the last patch in this area
> came from him.   See:

I've CC'd him on this email.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.