Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2017/04/01 10:31:34 UTC

Re: GSOC proposal for JIRA issue 351 : JavaFX client for SIS

Hello Siddhesh

You wrote a nice proposal draft, I was pleasantly surprised! Below are
some remarks:

On the sentence "Apache SIS is a library for working with geospatial
data, metadata and transformation", I propose to replace
"transformation" by "coordinate operations".

About the pane for editing the CRS: it may need to be subdivided in two
or three more parts: the datum, the coordinate system (where axes are
defined) and - only for some kind of CRS - the map projection
parameters. If time allows, some visual tools could be created for
helping the user (e.g. showing graphically the axis directions, or what
looks like a cylindrical projection versus a conic one). An other nice
feature (if time allows) would be to show the CRS area of validity on a
small map.

About the loss of precision (10 metres mentioned in the text), actually
it can be up to 3 km in the worst case. So indeed it is important to
show this information.

    Regards,

        Martin

Le 31/03/2017 � 20:02, Siddhesh Rane a �crit :

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Siddhesh

Thanks for your quick reply. I just posted email on the mentors list
asking what is happening. I will post an update when I will get answer.

    Martin

Le 21/04/2017 � 12:05, Siddhesh Rane a �crit :

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Siddhesh

After verification, it appears to have been a mistake. We fixed it and
your proposal is back in the normal process with other proposals. Sorry
for the worry.

Posted by Siddhesh Rane <Si...@disroot.org>.
Hello Martin,
I have definitely applied for this project
I  can see that on my dashboard.
I think the ignored status is some administrative error. I had no such option while applying

Regards
Siddhesh Rane

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

---- Martin Desruisseaux wrote ----

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Siddhesh

Sorry for my last reply... Your "SIS JavaFX Front End" proposal on
Google Summer of Code web site has the "ignored" status. Did you choose
to not apply for this project? I ask just for determining if it was your
intention or an administrative error.

    Martin

Le 03/04/2017 � 18:49, Siddhesh Rane a �crit :

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Siddesh

Le 03/04/2017 � 18:49, Siddhesh Rane a �crit :

> I have submitted revision 2 of my proposal as final submission. There
> wasn't much time to revise it any further.

Thanks!

> From sis-console examples page I downloaded wkt, netcdf and csv files.
> Can you recommend me any more datasets which I can play around with to
> understand SIS better?

There is also LANDSAT metadata. They can be read by the
sis-earth-observation module. An artificial example is available in the
SIS source code at [1] (documentation at [2]). Real data are available
for free at various place, for example [3].

Another format is GPX, which is an exchange format for GPS data. The
amount of metadata however is lower (basically the author and the
bounding box). An artificial example is in the source code at [4].

> The top level interface can always be used as long as it has methods
> to get relevant data. Abstract classes are useful because they provide
> constructors and setters for creating new data. Sometimes the top
> level interfaces are empty and then it is not any useful without
> reflection, which requires prior knowledge of what you want to
> extract. I'll need to research this further
Just for information, this work using reflection is also available in
SIS like below:

    Map<String,Object> map = MetadataStandard.ISO_19115.asValueMap(theMetadataObject, Metadata.class, KeyNamePolicy.UML_IDENTIFIER, ValueExistencePolicy.NON_NULL);

The returned map is live: all Map.get("...") operations invoke the
corresponding getter method, and Map.put("...", ...) operations invoke
the corresponding setter method if it exists. There is also an other
similar method returning a TreeTable instead than a Map, so you can
choose what is most convenient.

    Martin

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sis/branches/JDK8/storage/sis-earth-observation/src/test/resources/org/apache/sis/storage/earthobservation/LandsatTest.txt
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sis/branches/JDK8/storage/sis-earth-observation/src/main/java/org/apache/sis/storage/earthobservation/doc-files/LandsatMetadata.html
[3] ftp://ftp.glcf.umd.edu/glcf/Landsat/WRS2/p233/r095/L5233095_09519860909.TM-USGS.L1T/L5233095_09519860909_MTL.txt
[4] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sis/branches/JDK8/storage/sis-xmlstore/src/test/resources/org/apache/sis/internal/storage/gpx/1.1/metadata.xml

Re: GSOC proposal for JIRA issue 351 : JavaFX client for SIS

Posted by Siddhesh Rane <Si...@disroot.org>.
Hello Martin,

I have submitted revision 2 of my proposal as final submission. There wasn't much time to revise it any further.

I went through the github repo you linked. A surface level inspection of filenames shows that the code has followed standard JavaFX practice of making skin separate from the control.
I still have to run that code though.

Documentation is an important factor. I will ensure good documentation for all code I write.

From sis-console examples page I downloaded wkt, netcdf and csv files. Can you recommend me any more datasets which I can play around with to understand SIS better?

Regards
Siddhesh Rane

---- Martin Desruisseaux wrote ----