Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com> on 2000/07/30 00:48:21 UTC

[VOTE] XRI vs Xerces 2

In between versions of the requirements document, Ed and I
changed the name from Xerces2 requirements to XRI requirements.
It has been pointed out to me that we never reached consensus on
the name.

In order to make some progress on this issue, I would like to have
a vote on the usage of Xerces2 vs XRI.  Until that vote concludes,
I will put both names back into the next version of the document.

I would like to suggest that we allow for one week for people to
express their opinions and cast their vote.  I don't really see the
point of dragging this out.

Ted

Re: [VOTE] XRI vs Xerces 2

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
In case there was any question,  I see more than the 3 required +1's
for Xerces2, no -1's, and a +1 for XRI.  Xerces2 it is.  Ed has already
updated the requirements doc.

Ted

Re: [VOTE] XRI vs Xerces 2

Posted by Andy Heninger <an...@jtcsv.com>.
In order to make some progress on this issue, I would like to have
a vote on the usage of Xerces2 vs XRI.  Until that vote concludes,
I will put both names back into the next version of the document.

+1 for Xerces2.  I think that keeping the Xerces name helps
emphasize that the redesign of the architecture is something
that everyone involved with the Xerces project wants and supports.

Andy Heninger
IBM XML Technology Group, Cupertino, CA
heninger@us.ibm.com

Re: [VOTE] XRI vs Xerces 2

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
+1 for Xerces2

Re: [VOTE] XRI vs Xerces 2

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
> Ted Leung wrote:
> In order to make some progress on this issue, I would like to have
> a vote on the usage of Xerces2 vs XRI.  Until that vote concludes,
> I will put both names back into the next version of the document.

Xerces 2: +1

--
Andy Clark * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * andyc@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] XRI vs Xerces 2

Posted by Eric Ye <er...@locus.apache.org>.
Xerces2. because  it is a new generation (or redesign, or refactoring ) of Xerces-J Parser.
_____

Eric Ye * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * ericye@locus.apache.org

Re: [VOTE] XRI vs Xerces 2

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
I'm +1 on XRI.  This is not a -1 on Xerces 2. Consider it a -0
on Xerces2.

Heres why:

1) It's not clear to me what the outcome of this little experiment
will be, and I don't want to commit to something that will fizzle out.
By saying Xerces 2 we are making a commitment, that I am
not prepared to make.  I want some time to experiment.  I don't want
to be committed for a version numbered release.  I want the freedom
to throw all the results of this effort away if they don't work out.  To
me, that's not Xerces 2.

2) There's already a xerces_2 branch in CVS, which was initiated
independently of the current requirements effort.  I don't want to
stop the work on that branch while we work out a new set of
requirements.  This is Xerces 2.

Ted

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.com>.

Re: [VOTE] XRI vs Xerces 2