Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Yury Tarasievich <yu...@gmail.com> on 2021/06/18 07:08:17 UTC

building with gcc 10 and external (system) boost

Hi all,

Following the results described in this post:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ra0045b3901742ecbda7e23791819eabb18920a3c5848ebf586103a33%40%3Cdev.openoffice.apache.org%3E

When configuring with external boost library (I
have 1.76.0 installed, all headers and libraries
ARE present), my build is stopped by this issue:

In file included from
/d/home/ty/c/+ooo/aoo45/main/xml2cmp/source/finder/dependy.hxx:28,
                  from
/d/home/ty/c/+ooo/aoo45/main/xml2cmp/source/finder/dependy.cxx:25:
/d/home/ty/c/+ooo/aoo45/main/solver/450/unxlngx6.pro/inc/stl/vector:33:11:
fatal error: boost/tr1/tr1/vector: No such file
or director

I publish this here here as advised in IRC devs
channel ))

Re: building with gcc 10 and external (system) boost

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
On 20.06.21 08:57, Don Lewis wrote:
> On 20 Jun, Yury Tarasievich wrote:
>> Hello Peter,
>>
>> You are right on both issues, of course.
>>
>> To be fair, on your (1), I didn't touch that
>> variable check, I just brute-forced the C++11
>> mode of compilation.
>>
>> Which leads to your (2), but thing is, modern
>> boost sort of requires C++11. Might be other
>> external modules do, too.
>> Might that switch to C++11 be overdue?
>>
>> What I consider the nicest result (beyond the
>> 'fact of the pudding') is seeing that the C++11
>> build is achievable with very minimal changes to
>> the source, which wouldn't (shouldn't?) reflect
>> on builds with older versions of GCC.
> I think that we still need to do release builds of 4.1.x on CentOS 5. Is
> it's version of gcc new enough?

Redhat 5 uses GCC 3.4 according to [1]

CentOS 7 uses gcc 4.4.7

If I check with [2] it is to old.

[1] https://access.redhat.com/solutions/19458

[2] https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support

--
This is the Way! http://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html

Re: building with gcc 10 and external (system) boost

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 20 Jun, Yury Tarasievich wrote:
> Hello Peter,
>
> You are right on both issues, of course.
>
> To be fair, on your (1), I didn't touch that
> variable check, I just brute-forced the C++11
> mode of compilation.
>
> Which leads to your (2), but thing is, modern
> boost sort of requires C++11. Might be other
> external modules do, too.
> Might that switch to C++11 be overdue?
>
> What I consider the nicest result (beyond the
> 'fact of the pudding') is seeing that the C++11
> build is achievable with very minimal changes to
> the source, which wouldn't (shouldn't?) reflect
> on builds with older versions of GCC.

I think that we still need to do release builds of 4.1.x on CentOS 5. Is
it's version of gcc new enough?

Same question about the ancient toolchain we use for Windows builds.

Since we don't use any of the boost libraries, only the include files,
there's not real penalty in using the bundled boost other than the time
it takes to download and unpack.

Re: building with gcc 10 and external (system) boost

Posted by Yury Tarasievich <yu...@gmail.com>.
Right, understandable.

Only I believe there's need to consider also
that the newer GCC (10.3.0 in my case) can't
(won't?) compile even the headers-only part of
older boost (1.55, the internal one).

Maybe there're issues with other libraries
frozen at their older versions, too.

-Yury

Re: building with gcc 10 and external (system) boost

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
On 20.06.21 07:40, Yury Tarasievich wrote:
> Hello Peter,
> Which leads to your (2), but thing is, modern boost sort of requires
> C++11. Might be other external modules do, too.
> Might that switch to C++11 be overdue?

I would like to switch. I am a big fan of C++11, but I am worried on the
impact.

Without testing the switch on Mac and Windows I hesitate. That's is all.

 From our dependency point of view, yes we need to make the switch soon.
But imho it has time after release 4.2.

Posted by Yury Tarasievich <yu...@gmail.com>.
Hello Peter,

You are right on both issues, of course.

To be fair, on your (1), I didn't touch that
variable check, I just brute-forced the C++11
mode of compilation.

Which leads to your (2), but thing is, modern
boost sort of requires C++11. Might be other
external modules do, too.
Might that switch to C++11 be overdue?

What I consider the nicest result (beyond the
'fact of the pudding') is seeing that the C++11
build is achievable with very minimal changes to
the source, which wouldn't (shouldn't?) reflect
on builds with older versions of GCC.

PS The JDK I compiled with was Oracle's 1.8.0_271.

PPS There were tons of warnings about 'dynamic
exception throw declarations'. Literally
everywhere. Otherwise the compiler didn't
complain overmuch, AFAICT.

PPPS The build system is a conundrum in an
enigma. Or something. Did anyone wonder how the
following worked for me?
--disable-category-b \
   --enable-hyphen \
   --enable-hunspell \
   --disable-coinmp \

Re: building with gcc 10 and external (system) boost

Posted by Peter Kovacs <le...@posteo.de>.
Hi Yuri,

Nice work! However there is more then One change I am unsure about.

# you removed the __cplusplus string check. I think that is a bit hacky.
It would have benn better to check the content and add it with or

# switching to C11 -> we should do this and start refactoring the code
to the C11 style. However again we should check that all our target are
aware of C11, and then have a plan to move up the compiler versions. I
think [1] will help creating such a plan.

This are 2 points where we should think a bit before looking into the
next steps what we would need to do.

Again I really like the way to go. It needs some more work until we can
set this up.

[1] https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
This issue occurs because your Boost library is to new, and the fallback
case has been selected (as in
/d/home/ty/c/+ooo/aoo45/main/solver/450/unxlngx6.pro/inc/stl/vector )

Maybe this is more an issue of autoconf? My build on Arch Linux stopped
working because of needed changes due to a incompatible autoconf update.

Whatever. The best way is to check how HAVE_STL_INCLUDE_PATH is set. Or
what __cplusplus Macroi variable is set to. __cplusplus should fuillfill
 >= 201103L. This can be soimething that may fail if there is a change
in the name schema.

Sorry I lack a bit of time in digging deeper...