Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by tenley ludewig <tr...@yahoo.com> on 2007/05/23 22:47:33 UTC

Tomcat 5.5 startup window stays open on Windows even with Service startup method

I am having difficulty getting Tomcat 5.5 to run on Windows in the background.  I want to allow for two methods of starting and stopping my web application.

The first method would be via command-line using startup.bat and shutdown.bat.  startup.bat works just fine for me, but the window stays open, and to shut down Tomcat, I must close the startup window.  Running shutdown.bat does not kill the start window, and so it also does not kill Tomcat.

But even more importantly, I want to install my web application as a Windows service and then give the user two command-line calls to start and stop the service in the background.  The install of the service works, and I can then use the Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services GUI to start and stop the service successfully, and Tomcat runs in the background in this case.  However, when I use my startService.bat, the service is started successfully, BUT the window stays open.  As in the case of shutdown.bat, stopService.bat does not then stop the service or close the window.

My installService.bat looks like:
service.bat install MyService

My removeService.bat looks like:
service.bat remove MyService

My startService.bat looks like:
"%CATALINA_HOME%/bin/tomcat5.exe" //TS//MyService

My stopService.bat looks like:
"%CATALINA_HOME%/bin/tomcat5.exe" //SS//MyService

Is it possible to make these start windows run in the background?

Thank you very much for your help.

____________________________________________________________________________________Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC

Re: Tomcat 5.5 startup window stays open on Windows even with Service startup method

Posted by Len Popp <le...@gmail.com>.
You should be able to use the standard Windows commands to start &
stop the service:
net start tomcat5
net stop tomcat5
(substitute the name of your service for "tomcat5" if it's different)
--
Len

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
i think you have to use the START command e.g.
START /MIN NameOfWindowBatFile.bat
M--