Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Thibault Saint-Marc <ti...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/25 08:25:39 UTC

OFBiz translations in Chinese zh zh_CN

Hi All,

using OFBiz in Chinese environment for an ERP in China, I realize how the
translations can be improved.
quick examples:
    <property key="Accounting">
        <value xml:lang="zh">财务</value>
        <value xml:lang="zh_CN">会计</value>
        <value xml:lang="zh_TW">財務</value>
    </property>
    <property key="CommonActiveInactive">
        <value xml:lang="zh">有效的和无效的</value>
        <value xml:lang="zh_CN">不在用</value>
        <value xml:lang="zh_TW">有效的和無效的</value>
    </property>
    <property key="CommonNext">
        <value xml:lang="zh">下一步</value>
        <value xml:lang="zh_CN">后</value>
        <value xml:lang="zh_TW">下一步</value>
    </property>

1) the first problem is that some properties have values in zh, zh_CN and
zh_TW.
well, what is zh if not zh_CN ?
I suggest that we put the 'mandarin' (普通话, simplified Chinese) version in
the zh locale as a default, and the Taiwanese (traditional Chinese) version
in zh_TW.
I can keep zh_CN as a copy of zh but I guess it is useless. or is it ? how
does the algorithm work in OFBiz to get the right locale ?
please note that having just zh_CN and zh_TW won't do because some browser
will have zh as locale instead of zh_CN so we need that one (same way it
looks like there is only 'en' for english and no 'en_US', 'en_GB',...)

2) some translations in 'mandarin' are bad (zh or zh_CN): Accounting-> the
zh translation means 'finance', the zh_CN is right
Actually it looks like the zh_CN translation was done according to the
specifications of someone, but doesn't match the OOTB version.

Can an expert of Locales confirm my vision (just zh with Mandarin, and
zh_TW for Taiwanese) and then I can work on a patch to correct all these
simplified Chinese versions with Chinese people ?
Note I will work only on the zh=zh_CN, because it looks like the zh_TW is
better and I am not able to change those.

Thanks

Thibault

Re: OFBiz translations in Chinese zh zh_CN

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Paul Foxworthy" <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>
> Hi Jacques,
>

> Jacques Le Roux wrote
>>
>> The idea is that you overrides not common values. For instance take
>> French.
>> In fr you would put all common words (avoid long sentences).
>> in fr_FR you would put French specific words (slang? I don't see any other
>> usage)
>>

> You would put locale-specific words, like the name of the currency, into
> fr_FR and not fr.

Yes that's whart I meant, maybe I was not clear then :o)

Jacques

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
Hi Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Adrian Crum" <ad...@sandglass-software.com>
> On 5/25/2012 7:25 AM, Thibault Saint-Marc wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> using OFBiz in Chinese environment for an ERP in China, I realize how the
>> translations can be improved.
>> quick examples:
>>      <property key="Accounting">
>>          <value xml:lang="zh">财务</value>
>>          <value xml:lang="zh_CN">会计</value>
>>          <value xml:lang="zh_TW">財務</value>
>>      </property>
>>      <property key="CommonActiveInactive">
>>          <value xml:lang="zh">有效的和无效的</value>
>>          <value xml:lang="zh_CN">不在用</value>
>>          <value xml:lang="zh_TW">有效的和無效的</value>
>>      </property>
>>      <property key="CommonNext">
>>          <value xml:lang="zh">下一步</value>
>>          <value xml:lang="zh_CN">后</value>
>>          <value xml:lang="zh_TW">下一步</value>
>>      </property>
>>

>> 1) the first problem is that some properties have values in zh, zh_CN and
>> zh_TW.
>> well, what is zh if not zh_CN ?
>> I suggest that we put the 'mandarin' (普通话, simplified Chinese) version in
>> the zh locale as a default, and the Taiwanese (traditional Chinese) version
>> in zh_TW.
>> I can keep zh_CN as a copy of zh but I guess it is useless. or is it ? how
>> does the algorithm work in OFBiz to get the right locale ?
>
> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html

The idea is that you overrides not common values. For instance take French.
In fr you would put all common words (avoid long sentences).
in fr_FR you would put French specific words (slang? I don't see any other usage)
in fr_CH you would put Swiss specific  words
in fr_BE you would put Belgian specific words
in fr_CA you would put Canadian specific words
in fr_LU you would put Luxembourg specific words
Actually nobody never did any of these, and all words are in fr.

There are some for en_GB, same idea applies.

>> please note that having just zh_CN and zh_TW won't do because some browser
>> will have zh as locale instead of zh_CN so we need that one (same way it
>> looks like there is only 'en' for english and no 'en_US', 'en_GB',...)
>>
>> 2) some translations in 'mandarin' are bad (zh or zh_CN): Accounting->  the
>> zh translation means 'finance', the zh_CN is right
>> Actually it looks like the zh_CN translation was done according to the
>> specifications of someone, but doesn't match the OOTB version.

That needs to be discussed with the Chinese community

>> Can an expert of Locales confirm my vision (just zh with Mandarin, and
>> zh_TW for Taiwanese) and then I can work on a patch to correct all these
>> simplified Chinese versions with Chinese people ?

Makes sense to me, since zh_CN is de facto the reference. But again, that needs to be discussed with the Chinese community.

My 2cts

Jacques

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.