Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Simon Spero <se...@tipper.oit.unc.edu> on 1995/05/31 05:59:49 UTC

http status code for directories without trailing '/'

I was just explaining to about how urls that refer to directories should
always end in a trailing slash, and how the server issues a redirect to
make sure things work. I was using apache 0.6 to demonstrate, and I
spotted a slight problem in the returned status code.

Apache returns a 302 (temporary redirect). However, this particular case
is always a 301 (permanent redirect). I don't think this actually affects
any exiting cache-rs, but on my reading of the spec, it ought to not work
(for 302, clients must use the original URI for future requests;
generating relative URLs could fall under this heading).

Simon