Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Jack, Adam" <Ad...@New-Era-of-Networks.com> on 2002/01/01 01:12:57 UTC

(De)Serialization of complex types AXIS alpha3 w/ WSDL4J

All,

I have been experimenting w/ AXIS alpha 3 & it's WSDL4J and I tried using it
to call the xmethods listing service (so I could get a list of other WSDLs
to go experiment with). [This was an attempt to "experience" varied WSDL
forms (.Net and others) and learn about it from a practical point of view.]

I've learn a lot (through mild to medium pain) and not all that I'd hoped.
[See below for feedback].

It turned out that the first WSDL I chose had some complex types, and I
couldn't figure out how to work with these. The serialization example
(SerData.java) was helpful -- but seems "old style", and since I ended up
attempting to go javax.xml.rpc.* I could figure out how to add a
serializer/deserializer to do the job.

My questions:

*	I could see how AXIS serializers/deserializers are tree builders/SAX
handlers --- but how to JAVX.XML.RPC ones work? Are these not the same? If
they are any samples?
*	Do you think javax.xml.rpc.Service will return a
javax.wsdl.Definition [save me going to get it again] any time soon?
*	Can I get "complex types" from the Service or Definition?
*	If I am on the wrong track, how ought I work w/ complex types &
perhaps WSDL "introspection" w/ AXIS?

FWIIW: This is what I was working with:

	http://www.xmethods.com/detail.html?id=23
	http://www.xmethods.net/sd/2001/XMethodsListingsService.wsdl

	Note: I've told the folk at xmethods about their URI mismatch (WSDL
!= deployed.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

regards,

Adam

P.S. Feedback on my experience....

I had a lot of problems w/ the "bleeding edge" nature of this stuff, i.e.
how rapidly things are evolving. With javax.xml.rpc.* at one end and
javax.wsdl.*/WSDL4J at another [and yes, I moved from alpha 2 to alpha 3] I
kept getting caught w/ all the changes. I understand this, but it was a
painful exercise & left me confused (since I'd "learned" N ways to do each
thing). [I know at this stage how progress is more critical than stability,
just please be aware of how much it hurts users attempting this stuff right
now.]

BTW: If shipping WSDL4J please ship (1) javadoc or (2) source. I tried
finding WSDL4J online [painful --- no packaging], I had troubled downloading
the recommended WinCVS [ZIP corrupt], the WinCVS [latest beta, ZIP worky]
crashed --- so I tried downloading IBM's WSTK, but [after a long download
and some confusion] their WSDL4J was older. I eventually got a command line
CVS to download the latest WSDL4J code and found out what parameters where
what & what properties where what.

Clearly part of this is that samples are still (it seems to me) for alpha2
-- not for alpha 3 (i.e. for AXIS hands-on not JAVAX). I could be wrong,
again -- I am admittedly confused.

Thanks for all the good work, just trying to give feedback -- not moan.

Re: (De)Serialization of complex types AXIS alpha3 w/ WSDL4J

Posted by Mark Young <ma...@kamiak.com>.
Adam:

The WSDL2Java utility (org.apache.axis.wsdl.WSDL2Java) does handle that WSDL
you mention.  I haven't done so, but if you need to figure out how to roll
your own web service client, you might be able to look at the source for it.
I guess you don't just want to construct a client the quick and easy way?
I've had good success using WSDL2Java and then just filling in the classes
it generates for me.

Mark Young, Kamiak Corp.
XML Schema and Web Service Contract (WSDL) authoring software
http://www.omniopera.com