Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by David Spencer <da...@tropo.com> on 2004/09/08 20:17:26 UTC

IndexSearcher.close() and aborting searches in progress

http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/search/IndexSearcher.html#close()

What is the intent of IndexSearcher.close()?

I want to know how, in a web app, one can stop a search that's in
progress - use case is a user is limited to one search at at time, and
when one (expensive) search is running they decide it's taking too long
so they elaborate on the query and resubmit it. Goal is for the server
to stop the search that's in progress and to start a new one. I know how
to deal w/ session vars and so on in a web container - but can one stop
a search that's in progress and is that the intent of close()?

I haven't done the obvious experiment but regardless, the javadoc is
kinda terse so I wanted to hear from the all knowing people on the list.

thx,
   Dave

Re: View lucene index file

Posted by Cheolgoo Kang <ap...@gmail.com>.
check out this page

http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/contributions.html

we got tools like LIMO and Luke.

Cheo

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 23:38:17 -0400, Anne Y. Zhang <yz...@psu.edu> wrote:
> I am using Nutch. Is there any way I can view the lucene index file?
> It seems that lucene write index as binary file. Could anybody explain
> how lucene does the indexing and where the index file located?
> Thank you very much!
>
> Ya

Cheolgoo, Kang

View lucene index file

Re: Full web search engine package using Lucene

Posted by "Anne Y. Zhang" <yz...@psu.edu>.
Thanks a lot!

Ya
Posted by Bernhard Messer <Be...@intrafind.de>.

http://www.nutch.org/release/

Posted by David Spencer <da...@tropo.com>.

Re: IndexSearcher.close() and aborting searches in progress

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Dave,

I haven't tried this, but I think this would be messy.  Lucene needs to
keep index files open, so that when you pull a Document from Hits, it
can read this stuff from those files.  If you close index files, you
are likely to get some NPEs or some such.

I don't think you'll find a ready to use API for this use case in
Lucene.  Instead, my guess is that you will have to manually keep track
of your IndexSearcher's status (open/closed), and allow searches to
return results only if status == open.

Otis