Posted to users@tuweni.apache.org by RICHARDS PETER <ri...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/07 18:29:00 UTC

Tuweni crypto - new user queries

Hi Tuweni users,

I am a new user of the Tuweni project. I am trying to explore the
capabilities of Sodium classes under the Tuweni crypto project. I would
like to clarify couple of things about this project:

1. Is the latest version (1.2.0) of the project available on Maven central
repository?https://tuweni.apache.org/download/

2. Could you please confirm why most of the methods under Sodium have
package visibility? I am trying to explore ways to implement an algorithm
related to Collective Signature.

Is there a recommended way to access the methods under Sodium, for example:
crypto_core_ed25519_add()

https://github.com/apache/incubator-tuweni/blob/master/crypto/src/main/java/org/apache/tuweni/crypto/sodium/Sodium.java

Thanks,
Richards Peter.

Re: Tuweni crypto - new user queries

Posted by RICHARDS PETER <ri...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Antoine!

I have created the following issue:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-tuweni/issues/163

Re: Tuweni crypto - new user queries

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.
We support up to 1.0.16. Open an issue if you’d like to see a 1.0.17 supported, and I’ll document how to support newer versions.

Posted by RICHARDS PETER <ri...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Antoine for your reply. I am able to access the artifacts from
Maven repository now.

I am trying to implement the following Collective Signature algorithm for
my academic project:
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ford-cfrg-cosi-00.html

I found a sample implementation on github:
https://github.com/jpopesculian/ed25519-cosi
https://github.com/jpopesculian/ed25519-cosi/blob/master/ed25519_cosi.c

The sample implementation accesses following functions which are at package
visibility in Tuweni:
crypto_core_ed25519_add

The implementation also tries to access the following functions  and I
could not find them in Tuweni crypto:
crypto_core_ed25519_scalar_reduce
crypto_scalarmult_ed25519_base_noclamp

Could you please confirm whether Tuweni has support for the above functions
and also whether it would be a good idea to access low level APIs?

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.
Hello and welcome!

Yes, the latest is available on Maven Central. Check out the org.apache.tuweni group id. The artifact for Sodium related functionality is named crypto.

Typically we wrap Sodium functions in an API that makes them less likely for developers to trip and create bad memory allocations.
We use the Box class for example for public/private key work with the Edwards curve.

If you’d like to use the primitive core functions, please open an issue on the GitHub repository and let us know how we can help shore up functionality.

Cheers,

Antoine