Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/25 07:59:47 UTC

Re: [GSoC] Project proposal: Modularize Harmony JIT by separating JET as a standalone JIT compiler

On the 0x57E day of Apache Harmony Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
> "So far the JIT component (called Jitrino) of Harmony has virtually
> two JIT implementations: JET and OPT. Jitrino.JET is a fast but
> non-optimizing JIT, and Jitrino.OPT is an optimizing JIT. The code
> base of JET and OPT shares lots of code hence they are mixed in one
> module. This is undesirable for situations where people need only JET,
> for fast compilation, for small footprint. This project proposes to
> create a standalone JET-based JIT module for Harmony. It does not
> require to remove JET from Jitrino, but to create a new JIT module
> with JET. This project is also a very good exercise to examine the JIT
> modularity design, the interface between JIT and other components, the
> interaction between multiple co-existing JIT modules."

I like this. How about adding some juicy buzzwords? Like "that is a
big step towards running Harmony on netbooks/androids"? Those would
have made myself be more motivated to participate :)

--
Egor Pasko

Re: [GSoC] Project proposal: Modularize Harmony JIT by separating JET as a standalone JIT compiler

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.
Good suggestion. :)

Thanks,
xiaofeng