Posted to users@camel.apache.org by "Pitre, Russell" <RP...@shawmut.com> on 2009/10/05 17:00:25 UTC

Newbie looking for feedback on generating events from a database insert

Hi-

I just discovered Camel and I am very excited to start working with it!

Since I'm just starting out I don't know the lay of Camel land yet and
would like to solicit feedback on my integration solution using Camel.
Ultimately what I want to do is generate an event when a record is
inserted into a MS SQL Server 2000 database.

These db records are inserted from a closed source thick client that I
have no way of integrating with and kick off a few manual business
processes that we would like to streamline.  The only way I see to
generate an event is to write an INSERT Trigger to insert a
corresponding record into a queue table.  I would then have a Camel
route that contains a 'timer' and  'bean' component to look at the queue
table, send a message to an ActiveMQ queue, mark the queue table record
as processed and be done.  We would then setup a camel route for each of
the additional business processes that we want to streamline.

I realize it's not a sexy solution, but it's simple and will get the job
done considering I'm not working with integration friendly technologies.

Is anyone else doing something similar or have any comments (good or
bad)?

Thanks for your input

-Russ

Re: Newbie looking for feedback on generating events from a database insert

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

You can also try the camel-jpa component[1],
This unit test[2] may be helpful for you.

[1]http://camel.apache.org/jpa.html
[2]https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/camel/trunk/components/camel-jpa/src/test/java/org/apache/camel/processor/jpa/JpaBatchConsumerTest.java

Willem

Posted by "Pitre, Russell" <RP...@shawmut.com>.