Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by HEATLAMP <ji...@yahoo.com> on 2008/08/19 01:17:14 UTC

Millions of messages on queues

I have a situation where potentially millions of persistent messages (say 1K
bytes each) may end up being queued between systems (for example when the
target system is down for some reason).

Does this suggest a dedicated store-and-forward solution, or would ActiveMQ
or other messaging solution gracefully handle queues of this size?

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Millions of messages on queues

Posted by helgiv <he...@gmail.com>.
Rob, can you elaborate a little on this for me.  I'm using MySQL for a
message store, and I'm having a problem retrieving messages from a queue
with approx. 70.000 messages (each about 1000 bytes in size).  It seems like
ActiveMQ is issuing a SELECT (select id, msg from activemq_msgs where
container='queue://quename' and id > -1 order by id)  which retrieves the
complete set all at once, which obviously can't work.   How can one
configure it so smaller sets or a single message at a time is retrieved?

Regards,
Helgi.

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.