Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by jan i <ja...@apache.org> on 2015/08/29 11:35:39 UTC

How to make a branch RO ?

Hi

Now that our release is out, I would like to prevent any changes to the
branch release_0.1, how can that be done ?

Or should we delete the branch (I am reluctant to do so) since we have the
source zip file ?

thanks in advance.
rgds
jan i.

Re: How to make a branch RO ?

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.
> On 29 Aug 2015, at 9:56 pm, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 29 August 2015 at 16:14, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 29/08/2015 Peter Kelly wrote:
>>
>>> While tagging should do the job, it’s still typically possible to delete
>>> or change tags.
>>>

>> Are you (plural) saying that Corinthia 0.1 is not tagged? Indeed it isn't,
>> just checked. Yes, for sure it must be tagged, but the tag will apply to
>> the whole repository state and not to a branch specifically. Also, the
>> problem with mutable tags Peter explained is a real issue. You'll want to
>> sign or annotate your tag properly. I'm unaware of a specific policy in
>> place, but I'm sure that searching your inbox (or the ASF mailing list
>> archives) for the word "immutable" will retrieve the relevant conversations
>> and allow you to have enough context on what other projects do; git is
>> widely used at the ASF after all. I can take a look at my archives too if
>> useful, but hopefully the above suggestion is enough.
>>
> thanks I learned something new today :-)

Also it’s possible to sign tags with GPG keys. I haven’t done this in the past before (I’ve done signed commits in the past, e.g. 03bd5af when I first imported the editing code), but here’s some info on how to do it with tags:

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Tools-Signing-Your-Work

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

Re: How to make a branch RO ?

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: How to make a branch RO ?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: How to make a branch RO ?

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.
> On 29 Aug 2015, at 4:35 pm, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Now that our release is out, I would like to prevent any changes to the
> branch release_0.1, how can that be done ?
>
> Or should we delete the branch (I am reluctant to do so) since we have the
> source zip file ?

There’s no way to do this in git itself. Usually for fixed points like releases you would use a tag (and after you’ve tagged it, you can delete the branch). A tag is something that cannot normally be changed.

While tagging should do the job, it’s still typically possible to delete or change tags. If you want to be absolutely certain this won’t happen (and it could only be done very deliberately, by a committer), infra would need to implement something on the server side which causes it to reject deletions/changes to tags. They already have a similar restriction on doing a force push on the master branch. So it’s a question of the server config that only infra can answer/enforce.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org