Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Niranjan Perera <ni...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/15 15:20:36 UTC

Apache James multiple instances

Hi,

I am new to Apache James, and I have it  installed on my Windows XP laptop.
I would like to know is it possible to have another copy installed on
another box(Windows XP) and have both instances pointing to a single SQL
Server 2000 backend ? Basically my email client would only connect one of
them.

Thank you.

Re: Apache James multiple instances

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Niranjan Perera ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Apache James, and I have it  installed on my Windows XP laptop.
> I would like to know is it possible to have another copy installed on
> another box(Windows XP) and have both instances pointing to a single SQL
> Server 2000 backend ? Basically my email client would only connect one of
> them.
>
> Thank you.

This depends on what kind of configuration do you plan to use. JAMES
does not currently support distributed locking, so if you configure the
2 instances to use the same tables to process mails (spools) then you
will end up with both servers trying to process the same mail at the
same time with unpredictable results.

But maybe your configuration plan is different. I found it hard to
understand what you are trying to achieve by configuring a laptop and
another pc to run against the same db.

Stefano