Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2007/11/22 10:42:39 UTC

Tuscany and other Apache projects

There are quite a few Apache projects that Tuscany is already using in one
way or another. Looking through the list of all the projects on the Apache
web site gives some inspiration for other things that we could look into.
Here is a summary of a quick spin through the list trying to pick out the
Apache projects that we do/could use or that could possibly use Tuscany. In
reality I know very little of the details of these project so this is pure
speculation. But if there are experts out there with an interested in
Tuscany we could come up with some real ideas.

>From this list the MINA project looks immediately interesting to me as it
could help out with some more performant default bindings and 'in JVM'
bindings using pipe IO. Also the OFBiz project is something that I hadn't
come across before and could provide some useful use cases. The OFBiz site
talks about a "Loosely coupled multi-layer component architecture" and it
set me thinking about how their components might sit in an SCA runtime.

Anyhow if anyone has ideas (or time:-), or if this is already happening and
it just isn't very visible, then it would be great to hear.

ActiveMQ
   We use in binding.jms and binding.ws
   Are there adapters on ActiveMQ side that could be constructed
Coccon
   Could we include SCA components in the component pipeline?
Commons
   There are parts of Tuscany that could be more generally useful, for
example,
      graph driven databinding framework
      a scdl4j tool could be built
Validation
   Could validation be used with SCDL
Data
   Does DAS have a role here?
Directory
   LDAP DAS
   Use Directory as a registry implementation
Felix
   We are using this for our OSGi support
Harmony
   Could we get Tuscany running on Harmony?
James
   Wrap James components with SCA services?
MINA
   Could use as the domain transport
   Develop a MINA binding
Myfaces (Tapestry, Struts, Tiles, Turbine, Wicket, Sling)
   There are many tools related to web app development
   We could certainly use some of these tools in any monitoring and
management apps we need but is there value in tighter integration?
   For example, Turbine talks about SOA, could we provide some
infrastructure for them?
ODE
   We are using this for our BPEL support
   We could offer a patch to update their website to include Tuscany as a
user
OFBiz
   Looks interesting as they talk of services and components and of service
based logic
OpenJPA
   We use this in our new openJPA implementation
   I don't know if we a re contributing to the project though.
Portals
   Could we do something along the lines of wiring in portlets as part of an
SCA composite like we do with javascript
Velocity
   Be interesting to have a velocity implementation type
   Not sure how refs would be done
Synapse
   Has been discussed on the mailing list. I believe, in the first instance,
the proposal is to use SCA composites as a configuration alternative.
   Be interesting to look how be can introduce it to the SCA domain
Muse
   We some management interfaces and WSDM is an option
Abdera
   Use as an alternative Atom engine (we use Rome at the moment)
Cxf
   Could resurrect the CxF binding. There used to be one but it doesn't work
anymore
   CxF could have an SDO binding
FTP
   Would be good to have an FTP binding in a similar vein to the HTTP
binding
   Could be used as a deployment vehicle in the distributed runtime case
Lokai
   Don't know the details of this but we need some management framework so
we should look to see what this does
Qpid
   We could use as an alternative messaging transport. Plug into binding.jms
?
ServiceMix
   We could connect to it
   Could configuration be described (as has been proposed for Synapse).
Camel?
   How could it be included in the SCA Domain?
StdCxx
   I seem to remember discussion about this re. the Native runtime. Can't
remember whether we use it or not now.
XAP
   Could we integrate with our Web2.0 story

Regards

Simon

Re: Tuscany and other Apache projects

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Nov 22, 2007 1:39 PM, Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/11/22, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>:
> > There are quite a few Apache projects that Tuscany is already using in
> one
> > way or another. Looking through the list of all the projects on the
> Apache
> > web site gives some inspiration for other things that we could look
> into.
> > Here is a summary of a quick spin through the list trying to pick out
> the
> > Apache projects that we do/could use or that could possibly use Tuscany.
> In
> > reality I know very little of the details of these project so this is
> pure
> > speculation. But if there are experts out there with an interested in
> > Tuscany we could come up with some real ideas.
> >
> > From this list the MINA project looks immediately interesting to me as
> it
> > could help out with some more performant default bindings and 'in JVM'
> > bindings using pipe IO. Also the OFBiz project is something that I
> hadn't
> > come across before and could provide some useful use cases. The OFBiz
> site
> > talks about a "Loosely coupled multi-layer component architecture" and
> it
> > set me thinking about how their components might sit in an SCA runtime.
>
> I think that the distributed domain support might use MINA for group
> communications,
> simply because it's more efficient. So a node could be a runtime, with
> MINA support to interconnect to the domain (if you want a central
> domain place) and to the other nodes.
> Well, it could be a transition on implementing it using your
> SCADomainSPI interface..So until there won't be something working
> well, you can use the current one. Another idea is to create a group
> with some distributed membership protocol, but it's too early for now:
> little steps needed.
> Just my 1 cent.
> Giorgio.
>
> BTW. Actually your callable reference don't work over ws-binding. So
> I've created an CallableReference2OMElement trasformer and I'm testing
> just now.

> Hi Giorgio

I agree, I think we should look at the possibility of some binary MINA based
binding for use within the domain. As a special case it could be used to
provide the link between the nodes and domain manager. More generally it
could provide a more performant protocol than web services for default coms
between components within the domain. Also they talk about in JVM pipe based
coms which we also need and haven't done anything about yet.

On the subject of membership protocols have you a favourite. I've looked at
a few and they either seem to complicated for what we need or Java specific
such as JINI or there are license problems, e.g. JGroups that we discussed a
while back. Have you come across anything else. Would be nice to use
something from Apache.

I see your patch for passing callable references remotely. Thanks for that.
I'll look at it today.

Posted by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Nov 22, 2007 1:01 PM, Amita Vadhavkar <am...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > Lokai
> >    Don't know the details of this but we need some management framework
> so
> > we should look to see what this does
> > Qpid
> >    We could use as an alternative messaging transport. Plug into
> binding.jms
> > ?
> > ServiceMix
> >    We could connect to it
> >    Could configuration be described (as has been proposed for Synapse).
> > Camel?
> >    How could it be included in the SCA Domain?
> > StdCxx
> >    I seem to remember discussion about this re. the Native runtime.
> Can't
> > remember whether we use it or not now.
> > XAP
> >    Could we integrate with our Web2.0 story

Sounds interesting. I'm not up to speed with where DAS has got to now. If
you configure DAS and read data into SDO can you then write out the SDO
model as XSD. I'm guessing you can write the data out as XML. Is there
already a tool for generating the DAS configuration from the DB schema and
are you suggesting db2xsd as an alternative to this for generating the SDO
model?

Posted by Amita Vadhavkar <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Bringing this up again just to remind people to keep thinking about it.

If we can get Tuscany integrated with other projects then the community
around those other projects is opened up to joining the Tuscany community.
People using that other project get exposure to Tuscany and might ask for
help on the Tuscany mailing lists, report or fix our bugs, or even
potentially help write new functions to make it work better. Any new
participation is good for Tuscany and helps grow our community.

When Tuscany contributors become involved with other projects it helps our
graduation chances. If people on the IPMC know us as helpful from our
participating in other projects then they are much more likely to vote for
us than if we're a bunch of unknowns. We use lots of other Apache projects
in Tuscany so there's plenty of potential for contributing something back.
How many times have you found some deficiency with one of the projects we
use and not done something about it or even told them? It doesn't have to be
through writing a lots of new code it can be all the same things we'd like
people to be doing on our project such as participating in mailing list
discussions, updating/correcting documentation, reporting bugs, reviewing
new releases etc etc.

   ...ant