Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/25 08:44:52 UTC

[standard-mailets] Open For Business

i've completed the initial move. everything builds and a basic site
generates using maven.

there's quite a number of small TODOs left:

 * improve the site
   * create a basic catalog (groups related mailets and matchers
together and given them basic introduction)
   * configuration examples (this can be based on the the
james-config.xml in server)
   * more content
 * work out a plan for rest of mailets (see stefano's posts)
 * move in any more mailets which have no dependencies
 * check pheonix-deployment in server for the test cases of the
mailets moved into here
 * everything else i've forgotten ;-)

if anyone has some spare cycles, feel free to checkout and dive in.
patches welcomed ;-)

- robert

Re: [standard-mailets] Open For Business

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>>
>> i've completed the initial move. everything builds and a basic site
>> generates using maven.
>
> It's a while since you wrote this and I decided to move some of this tasks
> to our JIRA so they are not lost in mailing list archives.

good thanks

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAILET-11

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAILET-12

>    * more content
>  * work out a plan for rest of mailets (see stefano's posts)
>  * move in any more mailets which have no dependencies

Don't know the status of this one.
Please add JIRA issues for anything you think should be done.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAILET-13

>  * everything else i've forgotten ;-)

please add JIRA's if you remember anything else.

Stefano

Re: [standard-mailets] Open For Business

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:

> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> > >

> > <snip>

> > >  The mock stuff (MockMailetConfig, MockMailContext, MockMail,
> > > test.util.Util, maybe something more) is used both by standard-mailet
> tests
> > > and by james specific mailets.
> > >  What to do?
> > >  A) put the mock stuff in the "base" library in "main" but in a test
> > > package.
> > >  B) put it in the base library test suite and take care of releasing the
> > > test-jar too to be used by james-server and mailet-standard tests.
> > >  C) put it in the standard mailet tests and take care of releasing also
> the
> > > test jar and put this dependency in james-server.
> > >  D) duplicate the test classes.
> > >
> > >  My preferences from best to worst: B, C, A, D.
> > >

> > sounds about right to me
> >
> > another alternative would be to release another micro-library product
> > aimed at testing mailets. this would make dependency management more
> > rational (and maven happier) and the build simpler but would introduce
> > another micro-library (similar to those in commons).
> >

>  Maven should not have problem adding dependencies to other test jars.
>  We already do this in server code:
>
>  imap-codec-library tests have a dependency on imap-api test jar:
>     <dependency>
>       <groupId>org.apache.james</groupId>
>       <artifactId>james-server-imap-api</artifactId>
>       <type>test-jar</type>
>       <scope>test</scope>
>     </dependency>

maven does not have a problem adding dependencies but maven does
prefer one product per project since it makes dependency management
more difficult.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>
> <snip>
>
>>>  * check pheonix-deployment in server for the test cases of the
>>> mailets moved into here
>>>
>>  The mock stuff (MockMailetConfig, MockMailContext, MockMail,
>> test.util.Util, maybe something more) is used both by standard-mailet tests
>> and by james specific mailets.
>>  What to do?
>>  A) put the mock stuff in the "base" library in "main" but in a test
>> package.
>>  B) put it in the base library test suite and take care of releasing the
>> test-jar too to be used by james-server and mailet-standard tests.
>>  C) put it in the standard mailet tests and take care of releasing also the
>> test jar and put this dependency in james-server.
>>  D) duplicate the test classes.
>>
>>  My preferences from best to worst: B, C, A, D.
>
> sounds about right to me
>
> another alternative would be to release another micro-library product
> aimed at testing mailets. this would make dependency management more
> rational (and maven happier) and the build simpler but would introduce
> another micro-library (similar to those in commons).

Maven should not have problem adding dependencies to other test jars.
We already do this in server code:

imap-codec-library tests have a dependency on imap-api test jar:
     <dependency>
       <groupId>org.apache.james</groupId>
       <artifactId>james-server-imap-api</artifactId>
       <type>test-jar</type>
       <scope>test</scope>
     </dependency>

If we call your alternative "E" I revisit my preferences to B, C, E, A, D.

Stefano

Re: [standard-mailets] Open For Business

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> i've completed the initial move. everything builds and a basic site
> generates using maven.

I reviewed the change and I noticed you forgot to remove RelayLimit from
the server tree.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>>
>>>  * everything else i've forgotten ;-)
>>>
>>  We discussed about using svn externals (ALA commons) to make it possible to
>> checkout a multimodule version of the mailet products and create the website
>> in a single step.
>
> yes
>
>> What I guess is needed is a folder where we can place a pom.xml that will
>> list each module and will have src/site folder for at least an introduction
>> page and then a folder for each sub-project but I don't know exactly how
>> this would work: can you do this or explain me what to do?
>
> that's more or less right

What svn folder? Do we need to do one of this for trunk and one for
latest stable or not?

Stefano

Re: [standard-mailets] Open For Business

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.