Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by John Vines <vi...@apache.org> on 2013/10/31 18:02:49 UTC

1.6.0 Feature Freeze

I've been going through the tickets (and hopefully not stepping on too many
toes) for scoping things into 1.6 as we approach the deadline. However,
looking through the tickets, there seem to be 4 major tasks that have SOME
amount of work ahead of them to work in a release. To me, these are:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-118 - Multiple HDFS spanning
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-1009 - SSL
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-1481 - Isolated Root table
(this may be in conjunction with
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-802, I am uncertain of the
plan of action of 1481)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-1000 - Compare and set
Mutations

These are all tickets that have some standing work and I think these, plus
RFile encryption, are the core features for 1.6. I apologize if I
overlooked any other features in 1.6 in that statement. That said, this is
a LOT of work for people to have pushed in 36 hours. And pulling these
features out will A. be a giant PITA and B. Leave us with a very lackluster
release.

So, I am proposing maintaining the feature freeze of Friday at midnight
that we maintained before, EXCEPT for any thing regarding these 4-5
features I've enumerated. I think an additional week should be sufficient
for these features to be in a release worthy state. This also means that
after the general feature freeze date, all non-critical bugs and additional
features will be bumped to 1.6.1/1.7.0). Because it is a one week timespan,
I think we can hold off on creating the branch for 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT, but if
anyone disagrees a second vote can be put in order by someone who feels
that way.

Please vote on providing a delayed feature freeze for ACCUMULO-118,
ACCUMULO-1009, ACCUMULO-1481, ACCUMULO-802, and ACCUMULO-1000 for Nov 8
23:59 PDT for the master branch. Shortly after this time we will branch
1.6.0-SNAPSHOT from master and increment the version in master in lieu of
the original Nov 1 23:59 PDT deadline. For all other features, the original Nov
1 23:59 PDT applies. "Feature Freeze" means only bug fixes and
documentation updates happen after the date, which implies major code additions
and changes are already in place with appropriate tests.

If a commiter thinks a new feature in 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT is not ready for release,
they should bring it up on the dev list.  If agreement can not be reached
on the dev list with 72 hours, then the commiter can call for a vote on
reverting the feature from 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT.  The vote must pass with majority
approval[1].  If the vote passes, any commiter can revert the feature from
1.6.0-SNAPSHOT.

This vote will remain open for 72 hours and must have consensus approval[2]
to pass. Because of the conflicting time frames with the feature freeze in
~36 hours, the post feature freeze actions of the shall be delayed until
the end of this vote in the event this vote does not pass. This will not
change the rules of that feature freeze.

[1]:http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#MajorityApproval
[2]:http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#ConsensusApproval

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Yes, that's what I'm saying, because:

1 week (max) delay in pushing/merging is probably a better alternative
for features mostly ready and waiting for feedback before a final
yeah/nay, than somebody eagly pushing them to get them in before the
deadline and having to revert them later because they weren't
sufficiently reviewed.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Here's links to the jql you gave above:

http://s.apache.org/accumulo-ff-1.6.0
http://s.apache.org/accumulo-ff-1.6.0-remaining

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM, John Vines <vi...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> So, I am proposing maintaining the feature freeze of Friday at midnight
>> that we maintained before, EXCEPT for any thing regarding these 4-5
>> features I've enumerated. I think an additional week should be sufficient
>> for these features to be in a release worthy state. This also means that
>> after the general feature freeze date, all non-critical bugs and
>> additional
>> features will be bumped to 1.6.1/1.7.0). Because it is a one week
>> timespan,
>> I think we can hold off on creating the branch for 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT, but if
>> anyone disagrees a second vote can be put in order by someone who feels
>> that way.
>>

> Can we get some idea of scope for "any thing regarding these [...]
> features"?
>
> Could we limit it to tickets that currently exist as subtasks of the list
> of top level features?

This was my intent when I said "any thing regarding these [...] features".
I perceive that any additional tickets that should come up from those
features would be bugs or features worth coming in down the road.

> Could the people currently assigned to those tickets confirm that a week
> is a realistic goal?

Agreed. In addition, if they could scope sub-tasks into must haves vs. nice
to haves for a release, that would be beneficial as well.

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm fine with the idea of what you're proposing. I'll hold off on an
> > actual vote until the details are resolved (Christopher's and Sean's
> >

> Also, if we re-do calling the vote, I'd ask that we name John Vines the
> release manager[1] for 1.6.0 as a part of it. Our release guide[2] doesn't
> state when we determine the release manager, but I think it makes sense to
> do by the time of declaring a feature freeze (and I'd really prefer we do
> it when road-mapping a major version).

Sure, that's fine by me. I don't mind doing this for other releases, but
it's a bit new to me. Next time I won't wait for a week before to start
culling tickets.

> Also, one nit: the subject for the vote should include the [VOTE] marker
> for the benefit of less-active list members.

Once we get some more responses to Sean's and Chris's comments (like Josh)
I'll issue the ACTUAL vote. I'll try to remember this from here on as well.

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm fine with the idea of what you're proposing. I'll hold off on an
> > actual vote until the details are resolved (Christopher's and Sean's
> >

> Also, if we re-do calling the vote, I'd ask that we name John Vines the
> release manager[1] for 1.6.0 as a part of it. Our release guide[2] doesn't
> state when we determine the release manager, but I think it makes sense to
> do by the time of declaring a feature freeze (and I'd really prefer we do
> it when road-mapping a major version).

Our guide doesn't mention a release manager because we haven't explicitly
identified release managers in the past.
Which is not to say that I am against having a release manager.

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.