Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2007/07/04 05:23:30 UTC

Re: howto get cocoon-2.2.0-dev?

llamar burgess wrote:
> David Crossley schrieb:
> >David Crossley wrote:

> >>Oh drat. At one stage they used "svn externals" for some
> >>blocks to share them with Cocoon 2.1 branch. I wonder if
> >>that is the problem.
> >
> >I have not tried a fresh checkout of that revision
> >and i am not sure that the "externals' is the problem.
> >
> >We need to find all the places in that r351990 that used
> >to use 'svn externals'. Then i gather that we can get the
> >'svn checkout' to ignore the externals
> >http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.advanced.externals.html
>
> Yes, that should do it but an issue then is, that i dont know how many
> problems
> are in this revision at all. The checkout quits after the first error.
> But there are
> other problems besides the blocks (the cocoon build script actually
> fails because it cant locate
> the gump descriptor (\src\gump\module.xml).

Because you are ignoring "externals'.

The "externals" refers to
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/cocoon/
and the file is still available at:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/cocoon/module.xml

Get it with:
svn co -r 351990 http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/cocoon/module.xml

> So i supposed there must be
> other parts missing as well).

Not sure about that. There is another "externals" at
src/documentation/src/forrest-configuration/
but hopefully the "docs" was not required.

> To follow each error that comes up could be a intense task when, on the
> other hand any
> working version of cocoon would do fine for me (as long as it works
> together with forrest) .

As we have said, r351990 is the last known working version.

> That is, why i came up with the question to the list.
> I just hoped there would be a solution as easy as "download and use"  :)
>
> >Perhaps these are blocks that Forrest does not use.
> >Otherwise i wonder if we can get the relevant
> >blocks from the current Cocoon-2.1 branch SVN.

Those might need to be from a version of 2.1 that is
close to r351990.

-David

Re: howto get cocoon-2.2.0-dev?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
See:
"notes for last known working Cocoon-2.2-dev with Forrest"
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1015

-David

Re: Update: Resolved: howto get cocoon-2.2.0-dev?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
llamar burgess wrote:
> Lo again,
>
> redoing the complete procedure i noticed, that i must have mixed up some
> revisions..
> it is not necessary to do any changes to jars.xml. sorry about this mistake.
>
> this procedure should be working:
>
> >1. checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk in rev 351990
> >
> >2. checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/blocks (i used rev
> >351990 - rev. number changed automaticaly)
> >(into folder cocoon/src/blocks)
> >
> >3. checkout
> >http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/cocoon/module.xml
> >in rev 351990
> >(into folder cocoon/src/gump/)
> >
> >4. copy local.build.properties and local.blocks.properties from
> >apache-forrest-0.8/etc/cocoon_upgrade into cocoon/
> >
> >5. build cocoon

Fantastic news. Thanks llamar for following through
with this.

-David

Update: Resolved: howto get cocoon-2.2.0-dev?

Posted by llamar burgess <ll...@kraftfeld.org>.
Lo again,

redoing the complete procedure i noticed, that i must have mixed up some
revisions..
it is not necessary to do any changes to jars.xml. sorry about this mistake.

this procedure should be working:

> 1. checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk in rev 351990
>
> 2. checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/blocks (i used rev
> 351990 - rev. number changed automaticaly)
> (into folder cocoon/src/blocks)
>
> 3. checkout
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/cocoon/module.xml
> in rev 351990
> (into folder cocoon/src/gump/)
>
> 4. copy local.build.properties and local.blocks.properties from
> apache-forrest-0.8/etc/cocoon_upgrade into cocoon/
>
> 5. build cocoon

best regards
llamar

Resolved: howto get cocoon-2.2.0-dev?

Posted by llamar burgess <ll...@kraftfeld.org>.
Lo David,

You were right about the externals. Thanks to your help i was finally
able to build cocoon r351990.

These are the steps that worked for me:

1. checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk in rev 351990

2. checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/blocks (i used rev
351990 - rev. number changed automaticaly)
(into folder cocoon/src/blocks)

3. checkout
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/cocoon/module.xml
in rev 351990
(into folder cocoon/src/gump/)

4. insert/add some changes** to cocoon/lib/jars.xml
see:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cocoon-cvs/200512.mbox/%3C20051227151121.61398.qmail@minotaur.apache.org%3E

5. copy local.build.properties and local.blocks.properties from
apache-forrest-0.8/etc/cocoon_upgrade into cocoon/

6. build cocoon

I did not test to integrate the outcoming jars with forrest0.8 by now,
but this is not topic of this discussion.

Thanks a million, David! You really helped me out with this.

best regards
llamar

**changes to cocoon/lib/jars.xml

 <file id="mx4j-jmx">
    <title>JMX interfaces</title>
    <description>
      The JMX interfaces from the MX4J project.
    </description>
    <used-by>Core</used-by>
    <lib>core/mx4j-jmx-3.0.1.jar</lib>
    <homepage>http://mx4j.sourceforge.net/</homepage>