Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2004/05/22 19:13:18 UTC

Re: Anybody working on Issue 525: allow working copies w/out text-base?

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 14:08, Olaf Dietsche wrote:

> Thanks for any help! Or far better, someone else providing a patch ;-)

I certainly don't mean to scare you away, but this is much more than
just writing a patch.  I'm not sure if the issue indicates it, but the
problem is much, much more complex than you think.  People who know the
codebase intimately generally agree that the only way to get this
feature is to completely rewrite libsvn_wc... which would be a gigantic
svn 2.0 undertaking by the whole developer community.  The current
libsvn_wc is *riddled* with assumptions *everywhere* that the text-base
exists.  Everyone who's ever attempted to analyze the situation has
given up and conceded that a total libsvn_wc rewrite is the only
reasonable solution.

Re: Anybody working on Issue 525: allow working copies w/out text-base?

Posted by Olaf Dietsche <ol...@olafdietsche.de>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:

> On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 14:08, Olaf Dietsche wrote:
>
>> Thanks for any help! Or far better, someone else providing a patch ;-)
>
> I certainly don't mean to scare you away, but this is much more than
> just writing a patch.  I'm not sure if the issue indicates it, but the
> problem is much, much more complex than you think.  People who know the

Well, I studied the code and I *know* that it's not a simple task, at
least not for me.

> codebase intimately generally agree that the only way to get this
> feature is to completely rewrite libsvn_wc... which would be a gigantic
> svn 2.0 undertaking by the whole developer community.  The current
> libsvn_wc is *riddled* with assumptions *everywhere* that the text-base
> exists.  Everyone who's ever attempted to analyze the situation has
> given up and conceded that a total libsvn_wc rewrite is the only
> reasonable solution.

Thanks for this evaluation.

Regards, Olaf.

Re: Anybody working on Issue 525: allow working copies w/out text-base?

Posted by Olaf Dietsche <ol...@olafdietsche.de>.
kfogel@collab.net writes:

> I'm not sure it requires waiting for a rewrite, but it *would* be a
> non-trivial patch.  I'd like to have a go at it before 2.0, but not
> sure when I'll get a chance....  If you have a large appetite for
> debugging (or you know a Subversion developer who does), it might be
> worth looking at this, though.  Just make sure you go in knowing it's
> going to be complex.

Thanks for this encouragement.
I know, it's a complex task and I won't complete it anytime soon.

Regards, Olaf.

Re: Anybody working on Issue 525: allow working copies w/out text-base?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
> exists.  Everyone who's ever attempted to analyze the situation has
> given up and conceded that a total libsvn_wc rewrite is the only
> reasonable solution.

I'm not sure it requires waiting for a rewrite, but it *would* be a
non-trivial patch.  I'd like to have a go at it before 2.0, but not
sure when I'll get a chance....  If you have a large appetite for
debugging (or you know a Subversion developer who does), it might be
worth looking at this, though.  Just make sure you go in knowing it's
going to be complex.

-Karl