Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Maxime Petazzoni <ma...@bulix.org> on 2005/08/10 14:51:54 UTC

Re: svn commit: r231181 - in /httpd/mod_mbox/trunk/scripts: catchup-archive create-index create-site-index update-index

Hi,

> First pass at updating mod_mbox scripts to use the new mod-mbox-util program;
> various other minor updates.
>
> Modified:
>     httpd/mod_mbox/trunk/scripts/catchup-archive
>     httpd/mod_mbox/trunk/scripts/create-index
>     httpd/mod_mbox/trunk/scripts/create-site-index
>     httpd/mod_mbox/trunk/scripts/update-index

Since most of these scripts (create-site-index in particular) are
dedicated to mail-archives.a.org, I don't believe they belong to the
mod_mbox repository (more in something like the infra repos for
example).

For non-ASF mod_mbox users (maybe they'll be some, one day), a simple
README with the setup steps and how to use mod-mbox-util is enough.

- Sam

--
Maxime Petazzoni (http://www.bulix.org)
 -- gone crazy, back soon. leave message.

Re: svn commit: r231181 - in /httpd/mod_mbox/trunk/scripts: catchup-archive create-index create-site-index update-index

Posted by Maxime Petazzoni <ma...@bulix.org>.
> Actually, I think they do belong in this repository.  We should really
> add the CGI script that does the msgid search too.  Hopefully, once the
> mbox-search project is done, we can replace more of these scripts.

As I said, they are related exclusively to the ASF mailing lists. I did
not even used these scripts to setup my development setup of mod_mbox, a
proof they're not as needed as you claim they are.

I don't really think the current trunk/ directory structure is really
clean. In module-2.0/ you can find, all messed up, mod-mbox-util -which
is all but an Apache HTTPd module-, the libmbox library, and the module
itself. Not to mention these scripts, of course.

Something like :

lib/                  -- libmbox code (mbox_* files)
util/                 -- utilities directory
util/mod-mbox-util/   -- mod-mbox-util code
util/scripts/         -- the scripts, if you really want them here
module-2.0/           -- module source code (mod_mbox_* files)

sounds a lot clearer, and understable at first look.

> > For non-ASF mod_mbox users (maybe they'll be some, one day), a simple
> > README with the setup steps and how to use mod-mbox-util is enough.
>
> In general, any new documentation would be awesome.

Extract from repos/asf/httpd/mod_mbox/branches/httpd-mbox-if/STATUS,
updated by me during July :

[...]
Other known issues / ToDo:

    * Documentation
      - For developpers : internals
      - For admins      : setup and update
      - For users       : usage, interface description, ...

Just wait. This will come :)

- Sam

Posted by Maxime Petazzoni <ma...@bulix.org>.
> Certainly for simpler setups, you might not want to use these scripts.
> But, if you're doing a large setup, it'd greatly easy the difficulty in
> setting the archives up if you can build upon a set of scripts that others
> have used.

I believe this is why we have package mainteners : to gather all needed
material allowing users to build any setup they want. Ideally, we should
have a separate repository for this kind of things (same goes for the
Css, images and javascript file I recently added), along with svn
externals. But AFAIK the ASF repos were not set up in this way.

In the light of this argument, I agree that these scripts should stay
around here, but maybe with a different directory structure (see my last
post and/or what have been done for apreq).

- Sam

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On August 10, 2005 7:26:44 AM -0700 Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>
wrote:

>> Since most of these scripts (create-site-index in particular) are
>> dedicated to mail-archives.a.org, I don't believe they belong to the
>> mod_mbox repository (more in something like the infra repos for
>> example).
>>
> Actually, I think they do belong in this repository.  We should really
> add the CGI script that does the msgid search too.  Hopefully, once the
> mbox-search project is done, we can replace more of these scripts.

Obviously, I agree.

Part of what makes mod_mbox is having the utilities and 'framework' to set
up a web-based mail archive.

Here's an analogy: you could make a case that you don't need htpasswd in
httpd - but without it, it makes it difficult to set up.

Certainly for simpler setups, you might not want to use these scripts.
But, if you're doing a large setup, it'd greatly easy the difficulty in
setting the archives up if you can build upon a set of scripts that others
have used.

> In general, any new documentation would be awesome.

After I finish updating the mail-archives.apache.org site, I'll try to add
a quick README that describes the new configuration.  -- justin

Re: svn commit: r231181 - in /httpd/mod_mbox/trunk/scripts: catchup-archive create-index create-site-index update-index

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.
Maxime Petazzoni wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>First pass at updating mod_mbox scripts to use the new mod-mbox-util program;
>>various other minor updates.
>>
>>Modified:
>>    httpd/mod_mbox/trunk/scripts/catchup-archive
>>    httpd/mod_mbox/trunk/scripts/create-index
>>    httpd/mod_mbox/trunk/scripts/create-site-index
>>    httpd/mod_mbox/trunk/scripts/update-index
>

> Since most of these scripts (create-site-index in particular) are
> dedicated to mail-archives.a.org, I don't believe they belong to the
> mod_mbox repository (more in something like the infra repos for
> example).

Actually, I think they do belong in this repository.  We should really
add the CGI script that does the msgid search too.  Hopefully, once the
mbox-search project is done, we can replace more of these scripts.

> For non-ASF mod_mbox users (maybe they'll be some, one day), a simple
> README with the setup steps and how to use mod-mbox-util is enough.

In general, any new documentation would be awesome.

-Paul