Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/08 11:50:39 UTC

KVM - VM snapshot (round 2)

Hi guys,

still wondering is there any interest into imlementing the VM snapshoot for
KVM ?

We desperately need it, so will try to contribute anyway we can (not me
obviosuly, not a developer, but my colegues will).

Can you give some guidance on this subject - I'm aware of the design
documents here
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/VM+Snapshots but any
more input would be very much appriciated.

I understand, that VMware/Xen natively support this, and that it might have
bigger user-base for Xen VS KVM - but this is one of the major KVM missing
features...

Any input greatly appreciated...

--

Andrija Panić

Re: KVM - VM snapshot (round 2)

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
With KVM - I understand that there are 2 steps in general. 1) libvirts save
 - which saves memory of running VM to a file 2) qemu-img to snapshot
disks...

AS for the KVM VM snapshoting - my understanding is that the code is not
implemented at all, right ?

--

Andrija Panić

Re: KVM - VM snapshot (round 2)

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Andrija,

No, 6.2 went fully free, no more restrictions. You can do disk and/or memory snapshots as much as you want, ACS supports it.

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.
Not that I know. I take VM snaphots all the time, and don't have XS
licenses.

--
Erik

Re: KVM - VM snapshot (round 2)

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

--

Andrija Panić

Re: KVM - VM snapshot (round 2)

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: KVM - VM snapshot (round 2)

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

--

Andrija Panić

Re: KVM - VM snapshot (round 2)

Posted by Laszlo Hornyak <la...@gmail.com>.
It is still doing the same, I suspect that this is an intentional behavior
of qemu, it keeps the disk space for future use. However I haven't found
any documentation on how users should free the space.

--

EOF

Re: KVM - VM snapshot (round 2)

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.