Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Vikrama Sanjeeva <vi...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/21 15:15:12 UTC

[users@httpd] [crit] (28)No space left on device

Hello everybody,

 I am getting below error on Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) running on Solaris 10
production machine:

"[crit] (28)No space left on device: mod_rewrite: could not create
rewrite_log_lock"

I have checked device space on which apache is installed and its fine:

@machine: /usr/local/apache2/bin> df -h /usr
Filesystem             size   used  avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0       79G   9.6G    68G    13%    /

After googling this error I tried below commands, but no success:

ipcs -s | grep www   [returned nothing]

Please guide why this error is coming and what its permenent resolution.

#################### httpd.conf #############
<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers       8
MinSpareServers    5
MaxSpareServers   20
MaxClients       250
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>
#################### httpd.conf #############

ALSO:

there is a cron which do daily log rollup and restarts httpd using below
command:
"apachectl graceful"

Looking for help.

Bye,
Viki

[users@httpd] Re: [crit] (28)No space left on device

Posted by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>.
Run "df -h" to see what partition is full.  Fix it.

Re: [users@httpd] [crit] (28)No space left on device

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Jul 21, 2010, at 6:15 AM, Vikrama Sanjeeva wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
>  I am getting below error on Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) running on Solaris 10 production machine:
>
> "[crit] (28)No space left on device: mod_rewrite: could not create rewrite_log_lock"

Yeah, this is misleading.  No, your disk is fine.  You're running out of space for undo structures on the mod_rewrite lock semaphore.

Tune your system to increase the maximum number of undo structures your kernel allows.  See here for more info:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/httpserv/ihsdiag/solaris_sysvsem.html

Note that you might need more undo structures than it suggests because you may have an accept_mutex as well as a rewrite_log_lock. Experiment.

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org

Re: [users@httpd] [crit] (28)No space left on device

Posted by Vikrama Sanjeeva <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan,

  I just checked and there is plenty of space available in all partitions:

Hi Nick,
 To be honest I don't know what "ipcs" is but I know that httpd is
start/stop with "www" user.

Bye,
Viki.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.