Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/08 20:33:16 UTC

[Log4j] Anyone know how to get this working in IntelliJ anymore?

The maven config has gotten so complicated now that IntelliJ no longer
knows how to compile anything or run tests. I've tried using Java 8 as
a default JDK, but that leads to errors because IntelliJ doesn't
recognize the java9 modules as using a different JDK. I tried manually
changing those modules, but then I get some javac error with no error
message.

Next, I tried using Java 12 as the default JDK, but then came across
an issue in a test that I fixed in master. Now I'm stuck trying to get
the log4j-jmx-gui module to compile in Java 12 because jconsole.jar is
now jdk.jconsole.jmod, and I can't find any docs on using maven to
generate any JPMS stuff.

To be clear, this all builds perfectly fine from the command line
using maven directly.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [Log4j] Anyone know how to get this working in IntelliJ anymore?

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
The only thing I can say is that I never run into this problem because I never build anything in the IDE and only use remote debugging.

Ralph

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I don’t know that Spring supports JPMS. https://blog.sourced-bvba.be/article/2017/12/17/java9-spring/ <https://blog.sourced-bvba.be/article/2017/12/17/java9-spring/> is an older article but I haven’t found anything newer.

Ralph

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Alright, I took another whack at this over the weekend and figured out
what you need to do to get IntelliJ working properly with this
project.

1. Set up your ~/.m2/toolchains.xml as usual.
2. In the IntelliJ settings, go to "Build, Execution, Deployment" >
"Build Tools" > "Maven" > "Runner", and tick the checkbox for
"Delegate IDE build/run actions to Maven".

Using this setup, IntelliJ will defer to Maven instead of using its
own almost-but-not-quite-entirely-unlike-Maven compiler. Thanks to
this, I was finally able to get around to cleaning up some old plugin
system APIs that were bugging me for years.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.