Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Sam Tunnicliffe <sa...@beobal.com> on 2021/09/17 18:52:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] CASSANDRA-16922 CEP-10: Major Prerequisites (Phase 1)

This umbrella issue covers the major structural refactorings to enable the higher level pieces of CEP-10. The current proposal is to post separate patches for each JIRA to lessen the review burden as much as possible. However, the patches are incremental, so there is a dependency from one to the next. As these progress through review, the aim is to roll them up into a single branch and merge that to trunk together, keeping the separate commits for the specific JIRAs.

These patches are not intended to introduce any significant new behaviour, they're largely just introducing new abstractions to enable pieces of the system to be swapped out when running simulations.These patches are foundational to the CEP-10 work and so getting them landed is something of a priority. They have been produced collaboratively by several committers, but obviously further review and feedback is strongly encouraged. That said, allocating requisite time and resources to such large and complex changesets can be challenging, so we have a balance to strike.

Whilst the 2 committer review requirement can technically be satisfied already, it's reasonable to give fair warning and opportunity to contribute before we start moving this forward. Notwithstanding that, there are some failing tests still to address, mostly due to changes made in trunk since this work was started and subsequently encountered during rebase.

Thanks,
Sam

Re: [DISCUSS] CASSANDRA-16922 CEP-10: Major Prerequisites (Phase 1)

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 2:50 PM Jeremiah D Jordan
<je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this is a great idea.  Where do you see the “Roll Up Branch” living?  Does the project want to start keeping long lived feature branches in the apache/cassandra repository?  Or should the roll up branch still be kept in a fork?

I think keeping in the apache repo should be fine, I believe all the
other infrastructure explicitly defines the branches for CI so it
won't interfere with anything.

Re: [DISCUSS] CASSANDRA-16922 CEP-10: Major Prerequisites (Phase 1)

Posted by "benedict@apache.org" <be...@apache.org>.
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for asking, that’s very considerate. I’ll cope with rebasing these patches as necessary, that’s just one of the joys of being an OSS maintainer. Feel free to commit CEP-9 and any other work as and when it’s ready.

But yes, the pain of wrangling a dozen patches is why I would prefer to merge sooner than later, if there’s no particular reason to delay.

From: Stefan Miklosovic <st...@instaclustr.com>
Date: Tuesday, 28 September 2021 at 13:52
To: dev@cassandra.apache.org <de...@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] CASSANDRA-16922 CEP-10: Major Prerequisites (Phase 1)
Hi Benedict,

do I need to somehow accommodate this initiative in such a way that I
will postpone what I have (like CEP-9 is pretty close to merging) so
you have it easier to merge that? It seems to me these patches are
quite big and I am just thinking how to make it easier for you -
without having to constantly check if something hasn't changed in the
meanwhile.

Regards

Posted by Stefan Miklosovic <st...@instaclustr.com>.
Hi Benedict,

Posted by "benedict@apache.org" <be...@apache.org>.
Hi everyone,

From: Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>
Date: Friday, 17 September 2021 at 22:08
To: dev@cassandra.apache.org <de...@cassandra.apache.org>

Posted by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ekaterina Dimitrova <e....@gmail.com>.
Gmail cut what I wrote.

Posted by Ekaterina Dimitrova <e....@gmail.com>.
I think the idea is good, but ideally if feature development is expected to

Posted by "benedict@apache.org" <be...@apache.org>.
It’s worth clarifying that CEP-10 has been broken up into phases, and this will be a roll-up branch for only the first portion.

I think we should be cautious about how we approach the idea of feature branches, as there is significant overhead for everyone as branches grow - the CEP-10 and CEP-14 work has had significant additional overhead introduced by this. There are also additional risks introduced during frequent or long term rebases, as they are hard to review.

I think the idea is good, but ideally if feature development is expected to span more than a single quarter it would be best to target phased incorporation into mainline, and not defer everything to the final moment. I think it also helps focus review, testing, documentation etc. to have manageable chunks of work merged long before any perceived deadline.

From: Jeremiah D Jordan <je...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, 17 September 2021 at 20:50
To: Cassandra DEV <de...@cassandra.apache.org>

Posted by Jeremiah D Jordan <je...@gmail.com>.