Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by "Neil B. Cohen" <nc...@verisign.com> on 2007/10/16 20:24:51 UTC

Wicket/GWT?

I've been asked to look at possibly using the Google Web Toolkit instead
of (along with??) Wicket for my project. I don't know anything about
GWT, and I've only been looking at Wicket for about a week. Anyone care
to comment on the pros and cons of using these two? What makes one
better for a particular project than the other? Are they similar or
completely unrelated?

Any information, or pointers to some comparison documents would be most
appreciated,

thanks,

nbc

Re: Wicket/GWT?

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 10/16/07, Neil B. Cohen <nc...@verisign.com> wrote:
> I've been asked to look at possibly using the Google Web Toolkit instead
> of (along with??) Wicket for my project. I don't know anything about
> GWT, and I've only been looking at Wicket for about a week. Anyone care
> to comment on the pros and cons of using these two? What makes one
> better for a particular project than the other? Are they similar or
> completely unrelated?

You can use them together, though you typically want to cut the number
of technologies you use. Best thing you can do is play with both and
see what you like best. I think that GWT works well if you want to
develop your application as one or more 'applets', have a shallow
domain model and a service oriented architecture, and you can go Ajax
all the way. Wicket works well for a mixed model, when you want to
have control over your URLs (e.g. for bookmarkability/ indexing by
search engines) and use a rich domain model. Also, with Wicket, you
directly control the HTML you use, whereas with GWT you work with
layout managers.

There's probably a lot more to say about this, but please play around
and compare for yourself.

Eelco

Re: Wicket/GWT?

Posted by Sean Sullivan <se...@seansullivan.com>.
fyi

The dev mailing list had a thread about using GWT widgets as Wicket components:

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@wicket.apache.org/msg00402.html

I don't think anybody has implemented this code.

Sean